TdF Presentation - Comedy Gold...

pedro118118
pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Couldn't help but laugh at the style of the two jokers, who were talking to the riders last night.

Some particular highlights: -

When addressing Carlos Sastre, "...you are shadow man, no?"
To Bradley Wiggins, "...come on don't be shy, I'm not your wife, how much do you weigh........and I like these sideburns, why do you have them?..." To which Wiggo retorted to them (who were both bold), "...It's nice to have hair..."
To Evans, "...what did you change? Your personality?..."
To Gerdemann, "...So, which sounds best, Messi or Podolski..."

The bit when they engineered a conversation, which McKewen was conducting in Flemish and them in English, was also a particular triumph

The Dark Lord Sidious was the consumate professional, as usual....

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I thought it was embarrassingly bad, the sort of Euro-cringe I thought you only got once a year with the song contest. They didn't even announce the names of all the riders in the team. Very poor show.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • pedro118118
    So bad it was good?
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    deffo euro cringe, I think the weirdest moment was when he asked Andy Shleck if he would wait for his poor little brother.

Also a bit weird was when he asked Contador how he sleeps at night!

Contador had no idea wtf he was talking about
    cartoon.jpg
  • pedro118118
    Nico Roche wasn't happy. Up there as team leader and all the clowns wanted to talk about was his father's movements and how often they'll be talking on the phone?!

I though Cadel was going to explode - his voice was becomming more high-pitched with every question. To fair, the quesions were tedious...
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,174
    Nico Roche wasn't happy. Up there as team leader and all the clowns wanted to talk about was his father's movements and how often they'll be talking on the phone?!

I though Cadel was going to explode - his voice was becomming more high-pitched with every question. To fair, the quesions were tedious...

...Agree, thought he might threaten to 'cut your head off'....
    it was embarassingly bad, very 'euro pap'....

I got the impression Bertie thought they were asking him about his 'night time activities' ahem.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    So bad it was good?

Definitely for me. I thought it was hilarious.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pedro118118
    RichN95 wrote:
    So bad it was good?

Deffo.

When he was addressing one of the riders (I think it was VdV), one of the guys responded to VdV's quizzical look with the immortal line, "...I am Belgian you know..."

You couldn't make this stuff up!
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Hilarious from start to finish - I actually think Wiggins thought so too while Roche, Evans etc were getting quite cross. I think VdV (not sastre) was the 'shadow man' btw.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    RichN95 wrote:
    So bad it was good?

Deffo.

When he was addressing one of the riders (I think it was VdV), one of the guys responded to VdV's quizzical look with the immortal line, "...I am Belgian you know..."

You couldn't make this stuff up!

TV is like wedding speeches, thoroughly enjoyable at extreme ends of the quality spectrum. this was tragic and therefore brilliant viewing.
  • feel gutted i missed this rubbish now.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    It's not often you see Michel Wuyts described as a 'clown' and 'joker' on cycling matters...
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Well, that's a pretty accurate picture of what they were acting like yesterday.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I didn't see it, but both Michel Wuyts and Wilfried de Jong are incredibly knowledgeable cycling journalists; Wuyts probably the most knowledgeable around.
  • trtimothy
    trtimothy Posts: 117
    hillarious...so weirdly awkward it was good!..favourite moments had to be wiggins reducing his training down to not getting drunk as often or cadel seeming like he was about to explode. Classic stuff
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I didn't know it was Wuyts on stage, but I tuned in just in time for the Nico Roche interview and tuned out about 5 minutes later. It was embarrassing...
  • pedro118118
    FJS wrote:
    I didn't see it, but both Michel Wuyts and Wilfried de Jong are incredibly knowledgeable cycling journalists; Wuyts probably the most knowledgeable around.

That's as may be.
    Sadly, as broadcasters/masters of ceremony, it was pitifully bad and they made themselves look foolish and the riders uncomfortable.

But, still funny..............in a David Brent kinda way....................................
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I only wish I had seen more of it... the teams I saw were genius.

Trying to get the Schlecks arguing amongst themselves was well worth seeing.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Embarrassing! I came home early 'specially too. I thought the London one was bad but at least they introduced each rider.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    still doesn't beat Adrian Chiles at the BBC Sports Personality Awards a couple of years ago. Nicole Cooke is in the final 10, and during her 40 second interview the only questtion he asked was something about how many times do you fall off & does it hurt??

He then gets a multi-million contract at ITV and continues in the same vein as their chief footbal anchor man...