Which Coverage Will You Use to Watch the Tour?

Cheesyman99
Cheesyman99 Posts: 60
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Just wondering how everyone will be watching/listening etc. the tour?

For me it'll be Eurosport. I'm not usually a big fan but I've just got HD and my usual favourites ITV don't have HD coverage.

Comments

• Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    Eurosport live when I can, ITV4 highlights I think for me this year.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,228
    Eurosport for me whenever possible. I haven't got HD anymore unfortunately, last year's Tour was about the best thing I watched on HD, the scenery looks great and you get more coverage than on British Eurosport.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Going to use a combo:

1. Versus (in HD!!)
    2. Online (probably find feeds through cyclingfans and steephill)

And yes, watching in HD makes the race 3 times as exciting to watch. It really is incredible. I can't wait for the Giro to finally get in line and become HD (Hurry up RAI!)
  • JDALY46
    JDALY46 Posts: 21
    Eurosport HD for me - the quality of the 'Native HD' T.o.California was awesome.

The ITV4 highlight program is usually better timed (7:30 - 8pm ish) rather the Eurosports 10-11pm slot but felt that sometimes the commentary / features on ITV seemed a bit dummed down at times and aimed at pleasing mainstream viewers than us armchair experts ?

Eurosport MotoGP coverage way better than BBC coverage too !
    Approach every problem in life like a dog - if you can't eat it or hump it, p**s on it and walk away...
    Trek EX8 2011
    Trek 6300
    Trek 1.2
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    When given a choice it'll be Eurosport HD. But with ITV4 doing all the stages live, I can get that on the internet easily when I'm away from a TV rather than looking around for dodgy streams. So I'll probably see more of the Tour on ITV4. I might mute the commentary and listen to Radio 5 instead if they match up.

So in summary, my answer is all of the above.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Guess what?
    TDF presentation isn't in HD. Only native. Cheap or what? :oops:
    Cav wouldn't mind winning 7..........how thrilling. :roll:

I'll start with Eurosport, but if Harmon or Kirby gets on his Lance soapbox.........
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Can't vote because I have two answers...

For live stage watching it has to be Eurosport (too much Lance did this Lance did that from Liggett and Sherwen these days)

For highlights: ITV. ITV highlights show covers the whole race not just the last hour.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    When I watch it, probably ES HD.

But because I'm old and bitter, I tend to only watch mountain stages live + the prologue (last 20 riders)

Record the ES coverage during the week, read the cyclingnews text coverage and if it's exciting I'll watch it in the evenings. Stages which end in a sprint I tend to not bother with. Same is true for the Giro.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    is it in HD or not then???

lost me.....
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Where's the option of "standing by the side of the road..."

And yes, I am showing off! :D

But if I wasn't going, I would watch on Eurosport. I don't need a run down of what happened yesterday as I watched it then. I don't need to know how Mark Cavendish's team works in a bunch sprint or how Wiggy has electronic gears on his bike. Or what the local town is famous for. Or anything about LA, just wanna see the race, so I'll be watching on Eurosport.

Oh and of course Harmon and Kelly are much better than the very excitable Liggett and Sherwin.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Bit of everything really. I'll watch the majority on ES as ever, and the highlights on ITV4.

But I'll give ITV live a chance as I don't have ES on telly, just the lappytop, so if I get tired of sitting in bed in my pants I'll sit in the lounge in my pants lol
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Mix of ES and ITV. Harmon and Kelly are the best commentators in my opinion, but I like Imlach, Boardman,Rendell and Ned (when he turns up from the world cup).

Any idea who ES will have in the studio? Duffers? Roche?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,096
    ITV4

Trying to work out if I can watch it via internet whilst on the turbo
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Shocking stuff from Carlton Kirby last night "...they have thrown but nothing stuck on Lance" (or words similar to that effect).

Having said that I will stick with Eurosport to play the "terrty tree kilometers" game.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Sporza streams online (hopefully)
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    ITV4 when I'm at home (highlights every evening or Live if I'm in) and Eurosprt player on my iPhone when I'm out and about.

Can't wait!!!
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,174
    Shocking stuff from Carlton Kirby last night "...they have thrown but nothing stuck on Lance" (or words similar to that effect).

Having said that I will stick with Eurosport to play the "terrty tree kilometers" game.

...mm, he also said it was a shame that Valverde wasn't here.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Eurosport HD for me. Can't stand Ligget and Sherwin. Carlton was tolerable during the Tour last year unlke most of the other races he does. Strangely he was great on the DTM when that was on motors where did it all go wrong?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Carlton Kirby is a 100% PHANNY - Obviously Kirby thinks Armstrong is Brazillian these days as he only calls him by his 1st name - Crawly bum lick stuff.

Eurosport HD Kelly & Harmon Yae

ITV4 Liggett & Sherwin Team Radioshack Lance Love in DEF Nae.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Eurosport for me (got me leave sorted out!!) and then ITV4 highlights so only get a little bit of the Liggit and Sgt Maj Sherwin 'lance love fest'.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Pity me- just moved and no TV as yet.
    Brother is recording Channel 4 and I may get to watch it around Christmas.

Any-one know if Radio 5 is covering the Tour?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tusher wrote:
    Pity me- just moved and no TV as yet.
    Brother is recording Channel 4 and I may get to watch it around Christmas.

Any-one know if Radio 5 is covering the Tour?

Not a lot of point of record ing Channel 4 unless you're a Big Brother fan. It's on ITV4. You can watch ITV4 on the internet. http://www.itv.com/watchitv/

Yeah Radio 5 will be there. I think they have commentary on the last hour of each of the stages on 5 Live Extra (digital only). phil s will be able to tell you more, he is the producer after all.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    He is???! Wonderful- I shall seek him out.

(thinks. Does my imbecile wee brother know the difference between Channel 4 and ITV 4 when I told him to tape the cycling on 4? Probably not, Richard. Many thanks, I'll phone him tomorrow)
  • deltadawn
    deltadawn Posts: 168
    I'm in the states, but I don't get Versus, so I'll watch as I have done the past few years on a stream from cyclingfans.com. And that way I can watch, Eurosport coverage, or whatever else is out there! :-)

Dawn
  • idkPhil
    idkPhil Posts: 17
    Versus.. in SD
    Watching the pre race stuff right now... I wish I had a bicycle trainer or roller so I could just ride while watching TDF, maybe I'll get one before the end of the race.