2010 Tour de france Stage 1 - Spoiler

124»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,228
    Jeez it's spreading - not only does Cav get stick for overshooting an extremely tight fast bend but now people are trying to find a scapegoat for all the crashes. There's 200 cyclists trying to get to the front and too many people trying to win the stage so accidents are going to happen as they always have, stop over analysing them.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    If I was a betting man, I would have put money down on there being crashes in todays finish. Its always the same @ the tour. A lot of nervous riders getting twitchy. The GC riders would be better off sitting off the back once the 3km mark comes.
    cartoon.jpg
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    i hear Russ Downing has been getting booed by supposed `anti sky cycling fans` at the Edinburgh nocturne, makes me sick to think of cycling going the same way as football. theres no need for it same as the anti cav brigade at the end of todays stage.
    who cares?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    deejay wrote:
    Tusher wrote:
    Yes. They're practising for the injury that's going to take LA out.
    You sure that is the right way round. They practice to take AC out. (the shack were all around him) :roll:

Peleton cyclists in a ride alongside other cyclists shocker ! :roll:
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross wrote:
    Jeez it's spreading - not only does Cav get stick for overshooting an extremely tight fast bend but now people are trying to find a scapegoat for all the crashes. There's 200 cyclists trying to get to the front and too many people trying to win the stage so accidents are going to happen as they always have, stop over analysing them.
    +1
    Wtf is going on here? Sky take a calculated gamble that backfired on day 1 and Cav is involved in a crash. All the laughing boys are besides themselves with glee. I just do not get it. For the 25 years I've been watching pro cycling we have never had a lot to shout about. Now we have and we just want to knock it.
    Re Cavs crash, the picture clearly shows him leaning on the other rider but by that point he is off balance. I haven't seen good enough quality footage to see what led to that situation in the first instance.
    As for the last crash. I'd say it was a direct result of the barriers funnelling in exactly the same way as when Hushovd ran out of road last year. Maybe Cav's fault for this one too?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Is Cav the new Wiggle?

As to why Cav crashed. He clipped Eisel's wheel in front and it knocked him off line. Simple racing incident, happens all the time.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Cav's a trackie at heart - they don't do right-hand turns.

Freire seemed to be quite philosophical about the whole thing. As Rich says - racing incident.

Mind you, a few more "racing incidents" and he'll be vying with Graeme Browne for the respect of his peers
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    morstar wrote:
    Re Cavs crash, the picture clearly shows him leaning on the other rider but by that point he is off balance. I haven't seen good enough quality footage to see what led to that situation in the first instance.

I don't think they have footage showing how he came to be so off balance going into the corner or we'd have seen it.

Not seen any rider blame Cavendish for the crash either.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    afx237vi wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    PTP donuts for all?

Nope. 1 pick each for Hushovd and McEwen.

Still not exactly a glorious effort.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • The Jack
    The Jack Posts: 52
    Tusher wrote:
    Yes. They're practising for the injury that's going to take LA out.

Poor Cav. Two years ago we were all thrilled to bits that we had a winning Brit at the Tour, .

Yes, and then he started to belive he was the second coming of Cipollini and turned in to a very unpleasant little man.
    I promise to be thrilled again if he grows up.
    "Wo ist mein Fahrrad?"

-Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk waking up from a coma after a crashing with his bicycle-
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    The Jack wrote:
    ...and then he started to belive he was the second coming of Cipollini and turned in to a very unpleasant little man.

Oh come on, be fair, I think he's always been a very unpleasant little man. As for over analizing, this is a cycle forum, it's the Tour de France, wha do you expect? You don't have to read it? We'll all be talking about stage 2 later today!

Anyway, I have far better things to do, just of out to ride the last 30km or so of Tuesday's stage to Arenberg Porte du Hainaut :D
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    k2rider wrote:
    i hear Russ Downing has been getting booed by supposed `anti sky cycling fans` at the Edinburgh nocturne, makes me sick to think of cycling going the same way as football. theres no need for it same as the anti cav brigade at the end of todays stage.

Yeah, but this is what happens when you try to make cycling a sport where you follow
    "teams", a la football.

So the fans start behaving like football fans.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I think it's also due to the fact that most cycling fans (myself included) are traditionalists. Most of us would be happiest if they were still riding up the Tourmalet on fixed gear bikes and wearing wool shorts, change is rarely welcomed, particularly when it's all a bit new wave (marginal gains and mood lighting on the bus). Personally i have no problem with Sky, they've shown a good appetitie for racing and have had some decent results considering the injuries to EBH, hopefully over time the media will start treating them like every other teams as they have been over-hyped. However they haven't done anything to deserve abuse, particularly Russ Downing, who is a great rider. I can only imagine it's people that wanted him to stay in the UK winning Premier Calendar races until he retired, not that there is anything wrong with that but given the chance to ride at a higher level most people would grab it with both hands.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • The Jack
    The Jack Posts: 52
    All sports fans are always traditionalists. Alla forms of change is always frown upon by the majority.
    Sky is good thing to cycling. That they are overhyped is also a fact, but you really can´t blame them for it, can you? However it makes this season look like a failure if they don´t win at least the Tour and Lombardy...
    "Wo ist mein Fahrrad?"

-Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk waking up from a coma after a crashing with his bicycle-
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Getty
    e88b7d3da22635cccb35de8ce0957c4e-getty-cycling-fra-tdf-2010-podium-merckx-hinault.jpg
    b471fd35ee63048bdea129dc241cdc6b-getty-cycling-fra-tdf-2010-podium-merckx.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    That road rash is going to be sooo painful
    Contador is the Greatest