Frame Size advice

CycleProf
CycleProf Posts: 6
edited July 2010 in Road buying advice
I'm 5'10 with long legs (33" inside). I bought a Giant SCR2 in size L 2 yrs ago when I started cycling and am now looking at treating myself to a summer bike. I have the seat stem only about 11 cm showing (not enough room for saddle bag and light) and I keep being told my saddle is too low (don't think it is doing the heel on pedal test). I don't race or get into techie stuff, but in looking for a new bike I've been told I should go for a smaller frame and more stem.
Is this right or should I judge frame size by stand over height (ie 2cm below crotch)?

Or does anyone know if I can get measured somewhere (Norfolk area would be good) to determine the right size whilst still being able to understand what I'm being told, before buying a bike (considering Boardman Carbon so not expecting anydecent help at Halfords)?

Sorry for strange question but don't want to spend £1500 on the wrong size bike.
Grateful for any good advice. Cheers.

"Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain.

Comments

• night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    I don't understand how anyone can say you have your saddle at the wrong height just by looking at it? Unless they can see your legs are too bent when pedalling?

However, if you want to use a saddle bag and a light then you need the saddle to be higher and the only way you will acheive that is with a smaller frame.

If your current bike is comfortable for you then you need to take a few important measurements and ensure you can replicate these on the new bike.

Top tube length or more importantly saddle to bars as changing the stem can lengthen or shorten this measurement.

Knee over pedals, this can be adjusted by sliding the saddle on the rails or extra length by fitting a layback seatpost but it will need to match the top tube length as above.

Saddle height to bars height, this too can be adjusted by removing spacers but if the bars are too low then it gets more complicated to add height to the bars.

To be honest stand over height is only relevant when you get on or off the saddle/bike and as long as you don't crush the crown jewels every time then you should be okay.

Of course if your current bike isn't comfortable then a fitting session is a good idea but you might come up with a set of figures that would be hard to replicate on the bike. The best way to do this is to buy the bike and then take it to the fitter to tweak to your requirements. Chicken and egg springs to mind doesn't it.

Finally, I think I have read that the SCR range has a relaxed geometry while the Boardmans have more race orientated geometry so it depends on what type of riding you do or strive to do.
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    I'm about the same dimesnsions as you and I tend to find that most bikes (I've tried) are in the 54cm range. Obviously, it can vary because of different geoetry, etc, but this is a good starting point.

Don't jump in but instead try to ride as many different bikes in a couple of different size ranges (based on the above) and you'll eventually get an idea of what is right for you.

Bit skeptical aboput paying £150 for a bike fitting based on some of the comments I've read on here over the years.