What Bike Insurance?

Stuartyboy
Stuartyboy Posts: 22
edited July 2010 in Road buying advice
Hello all,

Can anybody recommend a reputable bike insurer??????? Looking to cover my bike value around 2500.

Cheers

Stu
Giant Propel Advanced 3
Giant Defy 0
Giant Rapid Advanced 0 Road
Scott CR1 SL

Comments

• Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    M & S will insure any bike up to £4000 as standard cover with their contents insurance with no excess.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Generally, bike-only insurance will cost you 10% of the value i.e. £250/yr whereas it's a lot cheaper to include it with our household contents insurance. M&S generally reckoned to be one of the best.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    I've added mine to my SAGA buildings and contents insurance. It's very reasonable and similarly priced to M&S when I checked.
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    edited July 2010
    mike ives wrote:
    I've added mine to my SAGA buildings and contents insurance. It's very reasonable and similarly priced to M&S when I checked.
    Bikes on a M&S contents policy don't have to be separately scheduled if they don't exceed £4000. :wink:

http://money.marksandspencer.com/pdf/HI ... ummary.pdf
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I'm insured with Greenbee (part of John Lewis) and they cover bikes in the same way as the M&S policies.
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    +1 for M&S
  • Whatever you do avoid LLoyds/Tsb they are hopeless with bikes although their other cover is good and usually competitive.
    I disapprove of what you say but will defend....your right to say it. Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire08 Cotic Soda-deceased!10 Bianchi 928 c2c23 Marin Nicasio2
  • heathrow86
    heathrow86 Posts: 228
    So with the bike covered on your home insurance I assume that your bike is covered if it gets pinched from your home. So what would you need to be protected on the road, for example if you were knocked off by a car and say you were ok but the bike was wrecked. Who would pay for the bike?
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    heathrow86 wrote:
    So what would you need to be protected on the road, for example if you were knocked off by a car and say you were ok but the bike was wrecked. Who would pay for the bike?

The car driver's insurance company, of course...
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    If your house insurance covers you for accidental damage then your bike will be insured if you crash. It's also insured if it gets nicked from somewhere that's not your home.

The main benefit house insurance has over bike specific insurance is that most house insurance only requires you to take sensible precautions when securing your bike. Bike specific insurance generally requires you to lock the bike with a rated lock (most of which weigh more than a decent road bike!) and won't cover the bike at all if it's in a garage or shed that isn't attached to the house.