Boardman Road Team vs Boardman Road Team Carbon

johncrossley
johncrossley Posts: 8
edited July 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

I've contemplated buying the Boardman Road Team bike for the last 4 months, and decided upon waiting until July.

However, it has gone up from £799 to £849 making it only £150 cheaper than the Boardman Road Team Carbon (@ £999).

Which bike would you buy and why, and as the Carbon fibre bike is not much lighter than the aluminium bike - is the difference worth it? (Carbon frame is 0.5 lbs lighter, if the website is correct)

Also I'm slightly worried about the strength of a carbon fibre bike. I don't plan to fall off it, but then again if I do, I don't want to throw the frame away. What sort of attack angle and speed does it need to get to crack and essentially write-off the frame? I ask because I've never ridden a carbon frame before, and it's more fear of the unknown.

Thanks!!

John

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Aluminium will break too. Carbon is pretty strong - but I'd not hit it with a hammer.

If you fall off a lot - get a cheaper bike.

If you dont fall off (and why would you ?) then get a carbon. Mine has lasted 5 years or so - looks as good as new.
  • CycleProf
    CycleProf Posts: 6
    £150 for a carbon frame over alu - I'd go for it - stiffer & more absorbent - unless as Cougie says you tend to fall off.
    I'm looking at the Team carbon vs Pro -- my alu Giant SCR2 starter bike is about to become my winter bike.
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    I've got the alu Team. In restrospect I would go for the carbon due to the roads around here being crap especially now the difference in price is only £150. A little more comfort would be nice for 50+ mile rides.
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    juankerr wrote:
    I've got the alu Team. In restrospect I would go for the carbon due to the roads around here being crap especially now the difference in price is only £150. A little more comfort would be nice for 50+ mile rides.

Don't quite know where the assumption that carbon is more comfortable comes from, comfort levels are more dependent upon frame design and tyre size.
  • Wow thanks for all the responses. It looks like the Team Carbon is quite popular (9 out of 12 votes). Based on the reviews I can see why!

I plan to take one for a test run over the weekend (providing they have a frame that will fit me!)

With regards to falling off -- I only mentioned it because I contemplated buying clipless pedals, and I've never used them before. I've heard it's quite easy to forget your wearing them, slow down not able to release your foot and topple over!! I'd be devastated it I wrote a carbon frame off in such a pathetic way!

Thanks

John
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    may be your buying running shoes before you can walk?
  • Thanks for all the input. I've given two Boardman Team Carbons a test and it is an excellent bike. I also tried the Boardman Team as a comparison, and it is also a very nice bike.

I put in my order a week ago and noticed the price has jumped up £200 to £1,199 so it looks like I've either made a really good decision (saving £200) or a really bad one (a newer model may be coming out).

Either way I was really impressed with the quality of the components.

Just in case anyone is curious about Halfords, I went to both Mile End, London store where I was only allowed to cycle around the store(!) and Tottenham, London store where they let me cycle around the card park. Both stores had one 'Boardman trained' employee who actually performed a road safety check/setup.

Thanks,

John
  • odichu
    odichu Posts: 116
    Hi,

I've been riding a team carbon for a year. Was very happy with it until I crashed it. I still think it's excellent value for money. (As other members have mentioned it might be cheaper after the Tour)

For my commute (18 miles total) I changed the tyres to 25's and didn't go mad on the PSI. lovely and smooth.

I also did a few longer rides on it, 5hrs. Not the most comfortable but it fitted me pretty well so no aches or gripes.

You'll want to upgrade the wheels at some point but the ritcheys whilst not being the lightest are bloody tough.

Hope this helps.

O