Chamois Cream

jteighty
jteighty Posts: 120
edited June 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm riding to paris next week and I have been recommended to use chamois cream to prevent sores. I have been looking around and I've found several creams and I don't know which one will be best for a long time (prob about 6-7hrs a day) on the saddle::

1) Assos Chamois Cream - 140ml (approx 5 oz) for £9.78 ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Assos ... 360031286/ )

2) Paceline Products Chamois Butt'r Eurostyle - 8oz for £10.39 ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Pacel ... yle_(Cream)/5360048082/ )

3) Udderly Smooth Chamois Cream - 8oz £6.11 ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Udder ... 360036098/ )

What do you suggest? Is the Assos really worth the extra money?

Thanks

JT80

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    You shouldn't have any problems with any of them. All good stuff. Just don't be afraid to use "enough" each day and maybe carry a small tube with you on the ride in case hot spots develope, and they will.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I've always used Assos, nothing else... But, it's never let me down, yet...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Never seen any in tubes?
    Always wondered exactly which bits to do / avoid.... never had any problems with my assos though..

seems to last ages.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Scrumple wrote:
    Never seen any in tubes?
    Always wondered exactly which bits to do / avoid.... never had any problems with my assos though..

seems to last ages.

I was sort of thinking about a small tube of petroleum jelly that I always carry on multi days, long rides. Comes in real handy when that "hot spot" appears. You can stop and take care of it before it gets worse instead of having to ride to the days finish in order to get a bit of relief. Where you use the creme is sort of up to you and where friction and pressure tend to bother you. I have a spot on one *ss cheek that tends to get "agitated"
    and requires attention more than "other" areas, so it gets a bit more creme. You'll figure it out.
  • Scrumple
    i guess it was more where NOT to put it. always wondered about the old sack...

vaseline is the daddy - i used to lather in it during my rugby days.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Assos for me, not a big fan of vaseline as an alternative, seems to go thinner than Assos stuff and lose it's benefits quicker + it doesn't come out as easily in a cool wash.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Sudocrem, top stuff and at 4 quid for 250 grams will last forever. Rode to Paris on it last September!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    On your sack, in your creases, on your arse and a bit up your bum.

Honest.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've used Udderly Smooth and Assos. Both work. Apply to the chamois, no need to lather it all over your arse.
    More problems but still living....
  • hopper1
    On your sack, in your creases, on your ars* and a bit up your bum.
    Honest.

Ah... That's where I'm going wrong....

I was using a lot! :wink:
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    With the amount of riding I have been doing I use almost two tubs of Assos a month and have never experienced soreness.

Apply really liberally to the chamois, I never apply to the skin, Assos washes out really good as well.
  • hopper1
    I've always applied it to me!...
    To the guys that apply it to the insert... Do you coat the entire insert, or just the 'important' part?...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've used all three they're all pretty good. My first tub of udderly smooth went strange and liquid after a while, the paceline and assos has been fine.

I think my fave so far has been the udderly smooth extra care I've had more sore's with the assos than I did with that and the US is cheaper too.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jteighty
    Thanks for all the responses. I think i'm gonna go with the Udderly Smooth but not sure if I should go for the extra care or regular. Is the extra care thinner?

Thanks

JT80
  • prawny
    jteighty wrote:
    Thanks for all the responses. I think i'm gonna go with the Udderly Smooth but not sure if I should go for the extra care or regular. Is the extra care thinner?

Thanks

JT80

Nope feels the same, infact the regular went runny the extra care didn't. It's got urea in it which is wee wee 8)

That's the main reason I bought it.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jteighty
    prawny wrote:
    Nope feels the same, infact the regular went runny the extra care didn't. It's got urea in it which is wee wee 8)

That's the main reason I bought it.

Haha, I read many reviews which said that it is too thin to act as a chamois cream..i think im gonna go for regular..
  • Scrumple
    yeah - where do you stop on the pad?? about half way?!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    dz nuts for me - does the job well, I apply it direct and not on the chamois and never had any real problems....
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Assos is nice but Udderly works fine and is a lot cheaper.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Udderly for me.

I do me bits and then some on the pad :shock:
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • prawny
    Oh yeah, I just put it wear I get sores not on the pad, it feels far to weird when you put them on :?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I cover it over the entire pad, and have done over 5000 + miles in the last year and never had one iota of a sore!