work and play?

slow turner
slow turner Posts: 58
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
Ive just finished school and i am now working til college, ive gone from 8 to 2.30, into 8 to 6. I now cant race in the week which is a bummer, how do you people fit in your riding in around work.

Thank you

Arran
Carpe Diem

Comments

• Paul32uk
    Paul32uk Posts: 80
    I save the long rides for the weekend or just book an hour or two off from work.

I do finish work at 16:45 however which would make the evening events easier for me to get to that you.

Can you not start a little earlier so that you can finish earlier?

exercise.png
  • mattward1979
    mattward1979 Posts: 692
    Can you not commute?

I currently do 5 miles to work/Uni and 5 miles back each day, and try to get out on my days off for a longer ride.

As of september, ill be doing 11 miles each way 5 days a week and 5 miles each way weekends. Works out to a pretty decent distance!
    exercise.png
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    Hi Arran,

During the week I ride 18-20 miles on a Mon & Wed evening after work as a "must do", I normally get on the road by 18.30 which is good as the evening rush is dying down and there are less cars and lorries about, then I add in a longer ride at the week end.

I intend to add 1 or 2 commutes to work during the week which is 9 miles each way.

Where there is a will there is a way so you will find the time.
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    cycle commuting is the secret weapon of a great many riders.

I do over 100 miles a week just commuting, and on the way home you are already on the bike so you can tack some extra miles on if you fancy it
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Either get up early and do a couple of hours before 7 (it's nice and light, quiet and really wakes you up for the day) don't expect to be able to work as hard though, it just doesn't work.

If you're disciplined about your diet and sleep it really has very little effect on you.