Changing rear Suspension

andyj1234uk
andyj1234uk Posts: 46
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Good afternoon all,

I am considering changing the rear suspension on an old mountain bike that i am working on. It currently has a coil spring around the shock. I am thinking about getting an air suspension unit instead. Now as i have never done this before and am using this to help me learn about how it all works, is it as simple as measuring the eye to eye length and just swapping the old for new.

The bike in question isn't top end just an old bike rescued from scrap that i have been changing bits on and using to learn how it all works.

Cheers

Andy J

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to know the eye to eye length, shock shaft stroke length, and have the righ fitting kit for the frame.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Also worth bearing in mind is that some bikes are designed specifically for either a progressive stroke shock, that gets stiffer through the travel, or are designed for a linear shock, where the spring stays the same strength through the stroke.

Best bet is to phone someone like TFTuned up, and have a word, they're really helpful, and can set up your shock for your weight and bike for you, as well as supply fitting kits, so all you have to do is stick it on the bike when it arrives.