Which photochromic glasses?

datsunman
datsunman Posts: 39
edited July 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Tried the usual suspects but none seem to fit, can anybody sugest others to try?

Oakley Radar - too wide

Oakley Jawbone - frames sits on cheekbones, not sure if this will be particularly comfy

Rudy Project Rydon - perfect width but the complete opposite of Jawbones, the gap between my cheekbone and lense is about 1cm

Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ - best fit of the list, but don't do the clear/black iridium or VR50 lense

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I have the Rydons and they fit really well, both the arms and the nose pads are bendable/moldable to get a perfect fit, did you try that?
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I have the Rydons and they are fantastic. Haven't tried the others though, so can't help there.
  • datsunman
    Unfortunately I did, the frame fits really well, it's just the lenses don't seem quite deep enough. If they were 7mm or so longer they'd be spot on.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    BBB Impacts got an Editors Choice tag in the Summer C+. You can get those in photocromatic if you need prescription as well the BBB Optiviews comes in photochromatic as well
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Also vote for BBB. They supply a couple of Pro teams so that may support it is good kit as viewed by those in the profession.

I have the Attacker style which came in a three lens kit - the photochromics which are excellent and quick to react and most of the time are my lens of choice, they also supply a yellow lens set which on late evening and overcast rides I have used and they are brilliant - really lights the world up increasing contrast and visibility and the third lens set are red mirror lenses which look really cool (especially with red jersey for the colour co-ordinated look) and for guaranteed sunshine all the way rides are a great alternative to the photochromics.

Comes in a hard case with soft pouch included and lens cloth and wipe.

Available here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-BBB-Attacker- ... 519118ec97

I spent ages trying all sorts of styles and price ranges. In the end these were a good fit with enough wrap around and no frame intrusion, They stay in position even after the sweat builds up - other glasses I have had in the past experienced the nose slip when the heat rose.

Lenses easy to change and replacements are also available should you ever need to replace.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • datsunman
    Thanks both, will give the BBB's a try and see how I get on. :)
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I wear Specialized Adaptalites and they're pretty good - just did a JOGLE and didn't take them off whilst riding for 9 days.

There are some pretty amazing offers on them at the moment - think you can pick a pair up for £30 odd (Rutland cycles) - so worth having a punt. I think Cyclestore are doing them cheapish as well.

Here's links:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=14967 (£50)

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/13045/Spe ... ptics.html (£30)
  • datsunman
    Thanks, will give those a go if the BBB's don't fit. :)
  • marin_maniac
    marin_maniac Posts: 513
    I've just bought the impacts in white, and all i can say is you won't be disappointed.

I was looking at Oakley's, but just couldn't justify the extra cost, what with wife/kids etc.

They fit very well, the lenses are great as well.

Does anyone know of a retailer that just sells the lenses on there own as I really want some smoke red lenses?
  • dave_oc
    dave_oc Posts: 46
    Have you looked at the new Oakley split jackets? They're similar to the jawbones but a little shallower.

Otherwise the BBB Attackers plus three lenses are cheap on amazon with free delivery:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BBB-Attacker-Su ... B001SEQRGI
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Endura marlins. Not tried them but cheap enough and get good reviews.

The specialzed acterras are in hargroves for £60 down from £130 and they are really comfy I'd get some but can't afford it at the mo.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • datsunman
    Thanks all, I must be able to find a pair that fit out of that lot! I like the look of the Split Jackets but haven't seen any in the flesh as yet.

I ordered the BBB Attacker and they should arrive tomorrow, looks like plenty of options if they don't fit.
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    How did you get on with the Attackers?
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • datsunman
    Tried them on yesterday and they are huge, at least they are for my little head. Maybe I need to put on some weight to swell my head out a bit. :lol:

A friend has some non-adaptalite Specialized glasses and they fit pretty well (can't remember the model though, hopefully Cyclestore/Hargroves will have them cheap and with adaptalite lenses), and I'm going to order some Split jackets too.

Will post up with results when they arrive. :)
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    datsunman wrote:
    Tried them on yesterday and they are huge, at least they are for my little head.

In Rudy Project's range, they do "SX" variants to fit narrower heads / smaller faces, e.g. Rydon SX, Ekynox SX. For non-beachball heads, they could do the trick. Works for me.
  • datsunman
    Thanks RDT - another one to try out. :)
  • paggnr
    paggnr Posts: 101
    anyone use Tifosi Logics?
    Cheers
    Pagey
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx
  • kitsunegari
    kitsunegari Posts: 131
    Maui Jim Sports? Extremely comfortable.
  • datsunman
    Just got the Split Jackets - lovely glasses but don't fit either.

Width wise they are spot on but the frames seem to be a rounder fit so the arms don't really grip my head they just clamp at the back. They also come with two different sizes of nose pieces.

Went for a spin down the road and the lenses are superb, really clear and change nice and quickly. Unfortunately with the nose pieces being too small/big and the clamping action of the frames they just bounce up and down.

Specialized next!