Up to the Top

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Just back from cycle from Mallaig to Durness. 260 miles of the finest roads Scotland has to offer. Best day was the 87 miles from Torridon to Ullapool, past Loch Maree, Gairloch and Dundonell. Superb weather, no problems with the Tricross at all.

I will tell you one thing though, there are not many flat roads in the North West of Scotland!! Some lovely short sharp hills, keep you focused and not concentrating too much on the amazing scenery.

Two days before I was in Durness a pod of Killer Whales were in the bay hunting and catching seals. Doing the full batting them with their tails, and leaping clear of the water. Wish I had seen.

Just wish I had it all to do again.... However, heading off next week to Easter Island for a Total Solar Eclipse..... 8)
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Having driven around Ullapool in the car last year, I remember seeing the blokes on touring bikes, fully-laden going up some ridiculous roads and thinking, "They're bonkers in the nut, that lot".

I think I was right. Well done though, Sir. :D
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Just back from cycle from Mallaig to Durness. 260 miles of the finest roads Scotland has to offer. Best day was the 87 miles from Torridon to Ullapool, past Loch Maree, Gairloch and Dundonell. Superb weather, no problems with the Tricross at all.

I will tell you one thing though, there are not many flat roads in the North West of Scotland!! Some lovely short sharp hills, keep you focused and not concentrating too much on the amazing scenery.

Two days before I was in Durness a pod of Killer Whales were in the bay hunting and catching seals. Doing the full batting them with their tails, and leaping clear of the water. Wish I had seen.

Just wish I had it all to do again.... However, heading off next week to Easter Island for a Total Solar Eclipse..... 8)

Do you actually do anything bar putting some nice miles in? or oggling eclipses... 8)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    You don't half get around :lol:
  • Wallace1492

Do you actually do anything bar putting some nice miles in? or oggling eclipses... 8)

Well, done a few nice runs this year, in addition to my daily commute. And to be fair have not been to Eclipse since 2006. However, been looking forward to (and saving for) this one since 2003. No cycling on Easter Island :(
  • Just back from cycle from Mallaig to Durness. 260 miles of the finest roads Scotland has to offer. Best day was the 87 miles from Torridon to Ullapool, past Loch Maree, Gairloch and Dundonell. Superb weather, no problems with the Tricross at all.

Well, done a few nice runs this year, in addition to my daily commute. And to be fair have not been to Eclipse since 2006. However, been looking forward to (and saving for) this one since 2003. No cycling on Easter Island :(

Quick Google...

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/So ... -BR-1.html

Rent bicycles at Makemake, Makemake is on the mainstreet of Hanga Roa. There is a sign with a bicycle so you can recognize it. The owner is nice and can help you also with bicycle routes. I cannot remember what we paid for a fullday but it was definately an okay-price and the bikes are great.
  • Wallace1492

Quick Google...

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/So ... -BR-1.html

Rent bicycles at Makemake, Makemake is on the mainstreet of Hanga Roa. There is a sign with a bicycle so you can recognize it. The owner is nice and can help you also with bicycle routes. I cannot remember what we paid for a fullday but it was definitely an okay-price and the bikes are great.

I knew I should have googled bikes on Easter island first!! Somebody had to.....
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Suddenly your choice of avatar makes sense...
  • Wallace1492
    jimmypippa wrote:

8 years in the dreaming, saving and planning.... all will be over in 2 weeks time.
    It just creeps up on you, then will be over in a headlong rush of planes, airports, travel, new sights and sounds.

God help me when I get back - will be all depressed and grumpy!

Maybe next challenge will be to cycle to the next Eclipse..... lets just hope it's not another remote island! :wink:
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    jimmypippa wrote:

8 years in the dreaming, saving and planning.... all will be over in 2 weeks time.
    It just creeps up on you, then will be over in a headlong rush of planes, airports, travel, new sights and sounds.

Maybe next challenge will be to cycle to the next Eclipse..... lets just hope it's not another remote island! :wink:

let's hope it's not cloudy
    <a>road</a>
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Well done - I was up in Assynt and the North-West in 2008 - brilliant area totally unlike anywhere else in the UK - don't think there's a level road in the whole area though 8)
  • Wallace1492
    jimmypippa wrote:

let's hope it's not cloudy
    Dont matter, seen 2 in full sunshine - or lack of it during totality, and had 1 clouded out, though the cloud enhanced the darkness, so will be an amazing site whatever. 8)