Decathlon bikes

3110neil
3110neil Posts: 303
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hello
The wife has just started to cycle ,she currently has an old townsend bike,so i was looking at the decathlon range Rockrider FIVE.1 White XS/S £139.99,
Dont want to spend a lot off money she will be only cycleing on road and farm tracks ,nothing serious ,any advice
cheers in advance

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is ok, but if you can stretch to the 5.2 you will have a superb bike.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    I'm sure the Decathlon bike will be fine for what your wife will use it for and, as she doesnt ride much, there isnt much point in spending more.

It all depends what your wife wants out of cycling?

The Decathlon bike will be fine for, like you say, road and gentle farm tracks etc, but if she ever wants to progress from that, she'll quickly find the limitations of the bike.

I tend to find people with "cheap" bikes never progress because cycling isnt that enjoyable for them. If you spend a bit more on a better bike, you can have more fun and perhaps progress........its the same as everything, you get what you pay for! (I've never seen someone going out on a sunny sunday on their 50cc moped....plenty of shiny expensive sports bikes though! Same theory, i think! ;))

Sorry for the vague answer. In a more direct answer to your question, around the £130 mark, there'll be loads of choice, but each bike will be much of a muchness and will have very similar specs so comparing Decathlon to Halfords, to Argos, to eBay will be a bit of a waste of time, in my opinion
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    +1 for 5.2, a bit more, but a lot better:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... er-52-8964
  • 3110neil
    3110neil Posts: 303
    Hi Guys
    Thanks for the replys ,supersonic rockrider 5.2 ive seen that ,but i know if i got that she wouldnt like the colour ,plus i dont want her to be comeing out with me that much ,so id rather save the £60 and get the Rockrider FIVE.1 White XS/S , this bike must be way better than the townsend bike she has now ,Funbus im sure your correct in what you say ,i just want something ,lighter and more pleasing to look at for her ,she wont take the cycleing up to much ,but what she has now is soooooooooooooooooo sh-te
    thanks again guys
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I bought my wife the Rockrider 5.2, it has a few expensive upgrades on it now and she loves it, we regularly ride trail centres and she is getting really quick. She actually rode Glentress and Innerleithen Red trails on the bike with the stock suspension :oops: I I had upgraded her brakes to BB5s though :D

The 5.2 will take anything you can throw at it, and it's only if/when she starts getting quick at riding trail centres that the bike will start to hold her back :D

Of course if you just want to ride on roads and farm tracks then pretty much any cheap bike will do the job, try to find the lightest bike she likes the look of and you should be laughing.