Mavic R-Sys Premium worth The extra £?

Gazzaputt
Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
edited June 2010 in Road buying advice
Currently have Mavic Ksyrium Elites on the bike. looking at a new wheelset and Merlin cycles have Mavic R-Sys premium at a very good price.

Question is are the R-Sys wheels noticeably different when ridden to the Ksyrium Elites?

Anyone here made an upgrade to R-Sys?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Two things you should know about R-Sys wheels:
    There was a major factory recall last year and their reputation as reliable wheels is still under question by some. You'll find numerous posts online on this subject.
    Aero they ain't!
    IME Mavic make good stong reliable product and they wouldn't knowingly put an inferior product out there - just make sure that they suit your needs - my ride buddy has a couple of pairs and he likes them lots - they're very light and comfortable and he's had no problems.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • slow_step
    slow_step Posts: 18
    I have been running a pair of the standard mavic r-sys wheels for over a year now and can thoroughly recommend them. I was a but dubious about their reliability not from personal experience but reports that I read on the web. I recently hit a very big pot hole whilst descending boxhill with them. The one of the spokes on the rear wheel shattered and there was a hairline crack in the rim. The main thing is the wheel remained intact which has reassured me of its resliance, I have since had the wheel repaired and am more confident of their reliability.

To ride they are super stiff yet comfortable, they are very good for climbing. Admittedly not that aero but that is comparing them to my only other wheels which are carbon tubs.