What Eyewear?

rieko
rieko Posts: 121
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Looking at some new glasses so i don't have to pull dead flies from underneath my eyelids anymore.. Any recommendations?
Giant TCR
Giant TCX

Comments

• eltonioni
    eltonioni Posts: 82
    Bolle Sillium for night and rain £5.62
    Bolle-SILPSI-rw-8172-23953.jpg

Which leaves some space in the budget for Oakley Juliets £279.99 :D
    18621-1.jpg
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Bolle Contour - eBay for about £6. Come in clear, dark and yellow lenses. Great value.

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Had some nice Kuotas, til the nose piece and arm ends fell off! Only 2 yrs old.

Got about a dozen lenses, and no frame...

Second the Bolles, have had good results before with Bolles.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Oakley Radars.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    For mountainbiking i've found that light responsive glasses are the way forward for the in-and-out of the trees action. I'm rather fond of my uvex gravity variomatic ones, but as with anything you need to try them on for fit.
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    Cheap ones from aldi or lidl come with 3 pairs of lenses and cost about a fiver.
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    I'm a bit of an Oakley Junkie, but be careful about the style of any glasses you choose as the wrap around tighter styles like the Oakley Jackets will often steam up in humid or wet conditions, the more open styles allow some air through to keep the lenses clear..

Also are you really sure you want to wear €300 glasses for VTT ?? I had not a huge off into some bushes - result €100 of Oakleys lost - not a happy camper..

Would recommend these which i've been using for a while now..

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/xudd-700-cycle-74769941/
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • njee20
    You actually lost your glasses after a crash, which is careless, or they broke? In which case Oakley will give you a new set heavily reduced.

I've got several sets of Radars and they are superb glasses, you only get one set of eyes, may as well protect them with some nice glasses! Find it odd how many people will spend a similar amount of money on, say, an X.0 rear mech!
  • PXR5
    Lost my beloved Straight Jackets which were replacements for an old set of Eye Jackets that I'd already broken...I have a lot of time for Oakleys After Sales Service as they've already repaired or replaced glasses and watches for me !!

To cut a very long story short it was a 40km organised XC ride, had started thundering/chucking it down with rain, so the glasses were not on my face (as they kept fogging up) but already hanging round my neck, during a narrow decent my bars ends (since removed) got a bit to friendly with some overhanging bushes and a second later found myself nicely in the middle of them, not hurt in any way, other than a severly damaged ego, and not wanting to waste time jumped back on and restarted, only to realise about 10mins later that my Oakleys were now gone...was well miffed

Agree 100% about protecting you eyes (as I also wear contact lenses), but my point was if you spend €200 on a pair of Oakleys (or any others) take care not to lose them like i did :cry:

Owner of Very old Eye Jackets/Half Jackets/Straight Jacket/Monster Dog plus too many other bits to mention
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • njee20
    only to realise about 10mins later that my Oakleys were now gone...was well miffed

So that would be the 'careless' thing I said ;-)

I personally put mine in my helmet vents when I take them off, much more secure IMO, if nothing else you can see them!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Bolle BL10 for me, I've had "proper" cycling glasses but none of them were any better. Cycling kit gets knocked around and occasionally lost or crashed so if I can get this sort of performance for £3 I don't see much cause to spend more.

Though, I wouldn't mind a really good set of photoreactives, that's where purpose built really takes over and shows its worth IMO. I'd just be afraid to use them :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    I've got 3 sets of Specialized Adaptalite glasses, I like the road ones in winter, but otherwise I never use them! They don't fit as well, they fog up and they can get scratched easily.

When Oakley do their new photochromic ones next year with the very wide range of transition I'll be sorely tempted!
  • For mountainbiking i've found that light responsive glasses are the way forward for the in-and-out of the trees action. I'm rather fond of my uvex gravity variomatic ones, but as with anything you need to try them on for fit.

Is the transition fast enough for XC racing in and out of trees? I've always worried that I would enter tree coverage and then find that someone had turned off the lights!
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • njee20
    edited June 2010
    Is the transition fast enough for XC racing in and out of trees?

Yeah it's fine, at the end of the day it's less tinted than most tinted lenses (in summer I race with Oakley Jade or Ice lenses, which are both bloody dark!). They don't change instantly, but I've never really thought 'aaagh, I can't see!).
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    For mountainbiking i've found that light responsive glasses are the way forward for the in-and-out of the trees action. I'm rather fond of my uvex gravity variomatic ones, but as with anything you need to try them on for fit.

Is the transition fast enough for XC racing in and out of trees? I've always worried that I would enter tree coverage and then find that someone had turned off the lights!

For me yes, the uvex are pretty slow, 10 secs end to end of the range, but the initial movement is pretty rapid and it is noticably easier to see than with my track 2 pro glasses that have a static tint (but fit better and look way more awesome)
  • Hang on now... What's this Oakley replacement thing I'm hearing about?? I didn't know there was such a thing! What are the conditions? Coz I damaged some of mine the other day when they got bashed into my face! :shock:
  • PXR5
    Hang on now... What's this Oakley replacement thing I'm hearing about?? I didn't know there was such a thing! What are the conditions? Coz I damaged some of mine the other day when they got bashed into my face! :shock:

Phone up customer service at Oakley UK - address is on their website, its something like Icon House in Leitchworth if my memory is correct, and explain that your glasses are damaged - they used to "extend" the guarantee by 1 year for 10 GBP then you send your glasses back and they replace the broken parts - check first however as all my breakages and replacements were frame parts, not the lenses themselves, these might cost more, but one time when they no longer made the particular colour i broke i got a spanking new pair of eye Jackets for my 10 Quid.... :D

Can't fault them so far........+1½ for Oakley After Sales....
  • kopite1979
    kopite1979 Posts: 443
    http://www.safewearuk.com/moreinfo.asp?pid=375 come with an adjustable strap which allows them to fit tight, they also have sponge bits between the glasses and your face for comfort, and air vents to stop them misting up! i`ve bought 3 pairs, lost 2, and would buy more
    It`s changed a bit since...
    2010 Zesty 314