Rubbing noise/vibration from rear brake

Dazza78
Dazza78 Posts: 32
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning folks...looking for a bit of advice

My Rockhopper SL Comp is nearly 7 weeks old and has just had its first service. Prior to taking the bike in the rear brake (Avid Juicy 3) started to make this really annoying rubbing noise when the brake was 'squeezed' (as opposed to jamming the brake hard so the wheel locks up). It also generated a vibrating/shuddering feeling.

I mentioned this to the LBS when I took it in for it's service and when I picked it up they said it was due to the fact that the rotor is warped and that its sintered rather than organic. The person in the shop said that I could get organic by the ywon't last as long as sintered.

Now, having never owned a 'proper' mtb before, let alone one with hyrdraulic brake discs, I have absolutely no idea what the pros & cons are of sintered over organic etc etc :oops:

I guess my options are:

1) Replace rear rotor on a like for like basis
2) Replace pads with an organic one and accept the fact they will wear out quicker?
3) Somehow try and straigten the warped rotor (I'm guessing a complete novice should get the LBS to do this?)
4) Learn to live with it

What do you folks have to say/suggest?

By the way, a mate of mine in the office got a new Giant XTC2 a week after me (we both got them on the C2W scheme!) and his rear brake has started to do the same thing (Avid Juicy 3 as well)....surely we both can't have warped rear discs, or is this a common problem???

Ta :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sintered/organic refers to the pads.

and yes brakes do make some noise/vibrations.

there are a couple of links in the tech links sticky about straightening bent rotors.

give your rear wheel a spin and look into the gap around the rotor in the caliper how much is it really moving?

TBH you are lucky that it only rubs as you apply the brakes.

unless the pad have been contaminated been spraying anything near that bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dazza78
    Dazza78 Posts: 32
    Cheers for your reply Nick.

I'll have a look at the gap around the caliper and the rotor tonight when I get home. As for contamination....I have used a touch of GT85 and some lube on the chain etc, but have been fairly careful/cautiuous so as to avoid getting anything on/near the rotors/pads.

I guess I could get some Muc Off Brake Cleaner to clean the brakes in case there is any contamination?

I've edited my original post with reference to sintered/organic pads :wink: :oops: