About to buy 2 2.35 70a 60tpi Ignitor Kevlars

Craig321
Craig321 Posts: 169
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
They're to replace my 'temporary' cheap Continental Vertical Wire beads as I want something a bit faster and stronger (lots of punctures with my current tyres), but keeping the decent grip.

I ride pretty much everywhere - road, mud, wet grassy fields, dirt, dust etc. so need a nice all round tyre that won't start slipping up hills in winter, but won't drag on the roads etc.

I've been through most of the more recent tyre threads and the Ignitors have come up a lot.

Just double checking they're a decent all round tyre that will suit where I ride, or is there anything better?

Thanks.

Comments

• kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    ive had the tubless 2.35 version of the ignitor, at first i thought they were brill, great grip and a nice size, but they have tendancy to wash out for no apparent reason and rolling speed isnt that great either
    what are brakes for again
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    The only thing you'll be changing will be the weight as these tyres are almost identical!

I have verticals on my HT and an ignitor on the back of my full susser and they handle, and drag exactly the same!

If your changing because the conit's have worn out and you want a slightly lighter version thatd ok, but if your expecting anything more than a slight performance gain you'll be disappointed!

If your conti's are ok why not get something super fast rolling for the summer like a conti race king or similar!

moggy
  • moggy82 wrote:
    If your conti's are ok why not get something super fast rolling for the summer like a conti race king or similar!

In that vein, the conti Twister is somewhat superior to the race king.
  • moggy82
    moggy82 wrote:

In that vein, the conti Twister is somewhat superior to the race king.

But a twister is probably a little too far, not enough grip when you do get to that one bit that never dries out!

I tried out twister supersonics many years back and they did really well, there just did'nt seem to be enough tread so wore out pretty quickly!
  • bdigital
    bdigital Posts: 193
    Out of curiosity - Would would be the next step up from 2x 2.3 Conti Speed Kings

If im after slightly more grip/stability, all round tyre, with only a slight reduction in rolling resistance?
  • moggy82
    Speed King is meant for slightly muddy conditions so to get more grip you'll have to look at moving to one of conti's AM/FR tyres, like the vertical, or something like the ignitor, look on, on-one who have ignitors and kenda nevegals on offer, both you give you what your after.

dont forget to play with tyre pressures as this can give you good rolling resistance with the grip you want if you get it in the right place! I tend to run 45 on my rear ignitor and 37-8 in my front high roller, gives great grip and they both roll pretty well now they're a bit worn, great for the summer!
  • Craig321
    Craig321 Posts: 169
    moggy82 wrote:
    The only thing you'll be changing will be the weight as these tyres are almost identical!

I have verticals on my HT and an ignitor on the back of my full susser and they handle, and drag exactly the same!

If your changing because the conit's have worn out and you want a slightly lighter version thatd ok, but if your expecting anything more than a slight performance gain you'll be disappointed!

moggy

The contis are almost new, however they seem very prone to punctures. Saying that I haven't had any in ages now, but maybe that's down to where I've been riding.

The Ignitors should be a lot stronger than the Conti Verticals, surely?

Thanks
    Craig.