Broken spoke - linked to recent rear hub service?

trickeyja
trickeyja Posts: 202
edited June 2010 in Workshop
I had my bike serviced last week, where the following work was carried out: replacement of rear freehub body, right hand cone replacement and regrease/replacement of bearings.

Yesterday afternoon I went on my second bike ride since the service and as I was cycling through town, one of the spokes of my wheel suddenly broke - I took the bike aside and saw that a whole spoke was completely detached from the rear wheel, another of the spokes had completely lost tension, and the wheel is now majorly out of true. (There is also something rattling around inside the rim now when I spin the wheel).

I was just looking at the damage when it crossed my mind that the spoke breakage could be in some way linked to the recent hub service. Is this likely, or is the damage probably just due to wear? Secondly, is the damage likely to be reparable?

I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Unless they trued the wheel at the same time the spoke breakage will not be related to the service you had.
  • trickeyja
    trickeyja Posts: 202
    OK, sounds like it's probably coincidental then.
    Thanks.
  • mercurykev
    mercurykev Posts: 264
    Secondly, is the damage likely to be reparable?

Depending on the wheel, you should just be able to buy a replacement spoke and fit it. If you tension that spoke until the wheel is true, you should be fine.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A broken spoke is so easy to fix - no harder than changing a brake block or similar.