Structural Engineering careers advice please...

macs
macs Posts: 209
edited June 2010 in The Crudcatcher
I have been working for the structural engineering consultancy for 3 years during which time the company has paid for me to go to college 1 day a week to gain an HNC and then an HND qualification. I have just finished the courses and don't feel the desire to go to Uni next year for another 2-4 years part time. This is for a number of reasons but the main one is I am currently a Senior Structural Technician and don't really want to be an engineer because i like doing the drawings etc that I wouldn't get to do if I was an engineer.

During my studies I was a Student Member of the IStructE and that will come to an end at the end of 2010. If I want to become professionally qualified the obvious qualification is Technician Member (TIStructE, EngTech) as this seems to be the best suited to the job I am currently doing and want to be doing in the future.

My questions to you are these:

1. Should I go for the TIStrucE qualification or just not bother?

2. Would having TIStructE be that much better than not when going for other jobs in the future?

3. Should I be going for Associate-Member instead or is that more Engineer' than 'Technician'?

4. How much more pay does TIStructE comand? (obviously depends on company)

5. How long does the TIStructE process take?

Thanks a lot guys, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I'm not able to advise you in your chosen career but I'm always of the opinion that you should qualify yourself the best you can. You may want to carry on in the role you're doing now but in the coming years your views may change and it is true that it gets harder to learn the older you get.
    You never that in doing the engineer route you may find a new role that you hadn't entertained early that exceeds the pleaure you get out of your current role.