29'ers with road tyres

bliarout
bliarout Posts: 153
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Having completed the L2B on my Claud Butler Cape Wrath D24 with slicks and altered gearing it's apparent that it is nearly as quick as a roadie but with geometry that I prefer. I've decided not to spunk the best part of a grand on a second bike when one more upgrade (yeah right!!!) will see me with the bike that suit me perfectly.

There appears to be enough clearance on the frame (360mm) so I thought about fitting a set of 29'ers which will wear slicks most of the time until we get to the middle of winter when I'll put something more knobbly on.

Anyone have any experience of fitting the larger wheels with slicks on a MTB?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bliarout
    The fact that you can annoy roadies by sitting on their tail is reason enough to do it :twisted:
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    BliarOut wrote:
    The fact that you can annoy roadies by sitting on their tail is reason enough to do it :twisted:

You should be able to sit behind a roadie on a full blown MTB with fat tyres !

We regularly get people turning up on club runs (road) with lightweight hybrids running slick tyres, and they hang on fine.

That's pretty much all a 29er is anyway (I'm gonna get some stick for saying that, aren't I !!!!)
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I have two sets of wheels for my Niner WFO.

Big Kris Holm wheels with 2.55" for the weekend, and 2.4" Racing Ralphs for the week.

With the platform mode put on I can hold my own against most roadies and leave some in the dirt.

Have to admit there is not much more fun than racing a roady on a 6-7" AM bike and leaving him behind...well there is one better, turning around to see if he has taken the bait and is sprinting flat out but stil can't take back the lead =-)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • bliarout
    I can see you all know what I'm thinking :D

So what would be a sensible budget for a set of wheels and which ones are good? Disc braked, so those roadies go shooting past too...
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    The rims I use for my road tyres are this

http://unicycle.co.uk/shop/shopdisplayp ... alogid=675

They are only road rims, you do not need something special.
    These will let you mount big road tyres like the Big Apple and keep it stable.

So not only can I race roadies on the flat, I can drop and smash up flights of stairs on my commute.

If you put light wheels on you might miss the fun of a MTB
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?