To 29er or not ??? That is the question.

Simonhi
Simonhi Posts: 229
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
As the title suggests, I'm getting a funny feeling for these bikes with the big wheels.

I currenlty have a very old but very light Zaskar LE which is soon going to be put to less use so that a new steed can grace my life !!!

The more I keep seeing about the 29" wheeled bikes the more I am thinking it may be for me.

Is it a fad ? Will it all be null and void in a few years to come ? Would I benefit from one, being the type that sticks to fairly steady XC and also being quite tall (6'3").

I've been looking at the Lynskey Pro 29 Lefty and it's got me interested.

I would really appreciate the thoughts of those who regularly ride a 29er, especially those that have both a 29er and 26er (either hardtail or FS). ALso, those that got one and then wnet back to 26" wheels.

Cheers in advance guys (and gals)

Si :-)

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Think 29ers will always struggle in the UK as we dont't really have the terrain that really justifys having one. But on the flip side if you try one and love it then why not...though I cannot really see them exploding in the UK

Then again...most men would like an extra 6 inches !
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Not sure why we don't have suitable terrain for one, anything bumpy off-road would be suitable :p I don't have one but if funds allow will get one next year as I'm sold on the idea of a short-travel 29 fs, on a hardtail I think it also makes sense. Ofc if all your riding is on tight, twisty and relatively smooth singletrack then it doesn't make much sense (unless you're really tall).
  • I've been thinking this thing, and finally found someone who's willing to let me have a go with theirs.

I decided that if I'm going to spend a lot of money on a bike I can't do it on the hunch that I'll prefer it.
  • Simonhi
    I've been thinking this thing, and finally found someone who's willing to let me have a go with theirs.

I decided that if I'm going to spend a lot of money on a bike I can't do it on the hunch that I'll prefer it.

That is what I was thinking too.

I will probably just go ahead and buy a 26 hardtail and if I get a chance to have a go on a 29 and think it would be a good addition to the stable then I'll get one too and have the pick of two bikes to ride.

Can't see mysel fever needing FS so a hardtail of each type would probably be the most I would ever need.

I could even go stiff carbon fork up front and single speed, a la on-one ?
  • Simonhi
    I've been thinking this thing, and finally found someone who's willing to let me have a go with theirs.

That is what I was thinking too.

I will probably just go ahead and buy a 26 hardtail and if I get a chance to have a go on a 29 and think it would be a good addition to the stable then I'll get one too and have the pick of two bikes to ride.

Can't see mysel fever needing FS so a hardtail of each type would probably be the most I would ever need.

I could even go stiff carbon fork up front and single speed, a la on-one ?