tyres, but not what tyres

fredy
fredy Posts: 308
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hello, i have decided to get some new tyres (going for the 2.35 HR and 2.35 minion front as has been recomended so many times). BUt i am slightly confused by all the types. What's the difference between wire on and folding in the real world? whats the difference between single and double ply etc.? what does 60a mean? Could there be any compatibility issues with my wheels?
Basicaly, how do i know what tyres to get?

thanks.

Comments

• Luke-Dob
    Luke-Dob Posts: 121
    Not sure about the Wire/Folding, though I belive a wire bead helps prevent snakebites.
    Singly ply is just one layer of carcass that makes up the tyre (I think), while double... well you can guess :D. Double is stronger yet heavier than a single.
    60a is the compound, it ranges from super tacky (40a/42a) compounds that stick like glue yet wear away quickly, to harder compounds like 70a that provide less grip, though twice the amount of life.

Tyre wise, it depends on what riding type you do, what the ground consists of (is it clay? sandy?etc) and whether weight is a issue (are you climbing at all?).

Hope this helps!
    "If I Was Falling, YOU BETTER FREAKING CATCH ME!!!"
    6 years riding bikes, 8 broken bones, gravity can be a b**ch
    http://dobby.pinkbike.com/album/My-Bikes-D/
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Wire means the tyre is kept in a round shape by a solid wire holding it there, folding ones have no solid wire so they can be folded for easier storage. Don't think it has any influence on punctures.
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Nope - you can pretty much stick any tyre onto your rim - the only thing is that a very wide tyre (DH) will not work quite as intended on a very narrow (XC) rim - but thats just commn snese really.

Like luke bob said - the numbers 60a etc are the compond - or how soft or hard the rubber is. The higher the number the harder the compound. Harder will wear well and roll fast but lack stickiness and grip. And softer will obviously be the opposite. The trick is knowing what riding your doing and picking the best compromise (if grip is paramount then you might be willing to push the velcro like 42a's up a hill but if you want an alround ride a 60a represents the best compromise and a 70 would be for a xc rider or commuter looking for low resistance and good wear.)

Folding tyres use kevlar to make the tyre walls - they are light but don't supprt the tyre as well if your really pushing them into corners very hard (i.e. they fold), wire tyres obviously use metal wire in the tyre construction and are heavier and cheaper.

Ply refers to the layers in the tyres construction, extra plys are often used to make the tyre either airtight (for UST tyres) or to give them extra structural strength (to resist snakebites and folding under very heavy loading). More plys will mean more weight but better durability and control through extremely rocky sections.

Depending on what your riding style is like and again depending on where you are riding - use a HR 60a outback - if you get lots of snakebites consider one with 2 ply (maxx pro) and then the minion - pick a 60a if you have a less aggressive style and want it to be quicker or go for a 42a if you want oddles of grip.
  • Oxygen Thief
    A Minnion is a DH tyre and is going to be overkill for most people though.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Kevlar is usually just the beading - the walls can be the same, though it is quite common for the kevlar beaded tyres, as higher up the range, to have thinner sidewalls [and possibly further kevlar] anyway and often better tyre compounds.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353

A Minnion in single ply in my opinion is brilliant on the front,just changed from conti speed kings 2.3 front and back to high roller 2.35 on the rear and minnion 2.35 on the front both 60a compound,the difference in grip is huge and far outweighs the slower rolling on climbs.Just depends on what you are after.
  • fredy
    piker wrote:

A Minnion in single ply in my opinion is brilliant on the front,just changed from conti speed kings 2.3 front and back to high roller 2.35 on the rear and minnion 2.35 on the front both 60a compound,the difference in grip is huge and far outweighs the slower rolling on climbs.Just depends on what you are after.

i am also going from speed kings which give me absolutely no grip. But they are light and it's great fun going up hill for some reason. i ride on quite loose ground, sand, gravel, composty, woodland soil etc. And i find that i have to take a wider, slower corner with my current set up.

thanks for your help guys! it's always appreciated.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Most tyres would give a massive difference in grip to the speed kings though.

If your on loose surfaces then yeah I'd say get a minnion up front. I'm going to get 2 High Rollers and that should do for me. 2.35 up front and a 2.1 on the back.
  • fredy
    so is this "folding tyres roll off the rims" problem really much of an issue? does this really happen to the average joe trail rider?
    Also, what is generally recomended when it comes to number of plys? My speed kings seems pretty puncture resistant for my needs, though i do have to pump them up very firm.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    fredy wrote:
    so is this "folding tyres roll off the rims" problem really much of an issue? does this really happen to the average joe trail rider?
    Also, what is generally recomended when it comes to number of plys? My speed kings seems pretty puncture resistant for my needs, though i do have to pump them up very firm.

It's only an issue at really low pressures or if you hit corners really, really hard (or both). For example pro downhillers use inner tubes rather than tubeless setups because they hit corners so hard that they'd lose a little bit of air each corner. Not going to be an issue for you.

1 ply will be enough for you.
  • piker
    The minnion i have on the front is a folding tyre and i have had no problems with it rolling off the rim and i am an average joe trail rider.As for plys single is generally used for xc and trail riding,the extra protection and weight of a double ply tyre means it is normaly used for downhill riding.You will notice a massive improvement in grip compared to speed kings.
  • fredy
    excellent, thanks for the help.
  • bdigital
    bdigital Posts: 193
    I too am curently looking at getting new tyres (today hopefully!) and i also currently have Continental Speed Kings 2.3 (both rear & front).

Im after more grip & stability + I want to make the most of the halfords offer of buy 1 get one half price.

Any suggestions?

For some reason im not keen on going to a 2.1 on the back because im used to 2x 2.3's.

Unfortunatly Halfords dont have the minions, otherwise my mind would be made up.

Should i get HR 2.3's for both rear & front? or is that a bad idea?
  • piker
    bdigital wrote:
    I too am curently looking at getting new tyres (today hopefully!) and i also currently have Continental Speed Kings 2.3 (both rear & front).

Im after more grip & stability + I want to make the most of the halfords offer of buy 1 get one half price.

Any suggestions?

For some reason im not keen on going to a 2.1 on the back because im used to 2x 2.3's.

Unfortunatly Halfords dont have the minions, otherwise my mind would be made up.

Should i get HR 2.3's for both rear & front? or is that a bad idea?
    Go for it,check out nextdaytyres and compare prices first though.You will get a minnion/high roller combo for not much more.
  • fredy
    i got the minion and HR from nextdaytyres for about £45 all together, with the minion being folding.
  • bdigital
    bdigital Posts: 193
    wow - Good prices! - thanks for the tip.

Theres lots more choice on there soooOoo that widens my scope a little

ANy advice on a upgrade to my current conti speed kings 2.3?

Im after a bit more grip & stability. All round tyre (will be going to Afan shortley)