Is there an age limit on deep section wheels ?

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
I don't mean - you shouldn't use them after then get 6 years old !

I mean is there a point - when you just look to old to have the ultimate bling ? - I mean its fine in your 20's - your all lean and fit
in you 40's your hair goes white, or falls out, and you just don't look as mean on two whels as you used to !

So when are you to old for deep section wheels ?

Comments

• n+1 applies. Anyone a year older than you is too old for that kind of bling!
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    kingrollo wrote:
    I don't mean - you shouldn't use them after then get 6 years old !

I mean is there a point - when you just look to old to have the ultimate bling ? - I mean its fine in your 20's - your all lean and fit
    in you 40's your hair goes white, or falls out, and you just don't look as mean on two whels as you used to !

So when are you to old for deep section wheels ?

Now you tell me...

I've got Zipp 404 tubs, and I'm...

48!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I regularly race in LVRC road races - a relative youngster at 45 and there's still plenty of guys riding deep carbon wheels in their 60's. It's nothing to do with age, merely the ability to generate the power to make them go fast enough.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I regularly race in LVRC road races - a relative youngster at 45 and there's still plenty of guys riding deep carbon wheels in their 60's. It's nothing to do with age, merely the ability to generate the power to make them go fast enough.
    indeed, indeed
    maybe the OP would like a free pass to a race to see if he matches up :wink:
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • kingrollo
    Monty Dog wrote:
    indeed, indeed
    maybe the OP would like a free pass to a race to see if he matches up :wink:

Thing is - I know I don't !!!!

Racing is out my league - I think the intermediate club run is about my limit - I suppose I should ask what average speed should you be clocking with Deep Sections 1
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    I think i read that aero advantage doesn't really kick in 'til 20mph, that could just be some b0llox i picked up on here though :wink:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I think i read that aero advantage doesn't really kick in 'til 20mph, that could just be some b0llox i picked up on here though :wink:

Actually aerodynamic stuff saves you more time the slower you go.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Hmmmm, well i'm not going to argue because your some scientastic boffin who can use your stats to prove anything. So with that in mind um, er, forgot what i was going to say :wink: :arrow:
  • Monty Dog
    FWIW most aero wheels are designed such that they provide optimum advantage at 40kph plus - below 30 they don't really make much difference IME - it's really noticeable when you wind a fast wheel to above 50-60kph as the effort to keep it going is much less than for a conventional wheel. Perhaps the thing that concerns you most is that you become a 'target' for other riders!
  • kingrollo
    Monty Dog wrote:
    FWIW most aero wheels are designed such that they provide optimum advantage at 40kph plus - below 30 they don't really make much difference IME - it's really noticeable when you wind a fast wheel to above 50-60kph as the effort to keep it going is much less than for a conventional wheel. Perhaps the thing that concerns you most is that you become a 'target' for other riders!

yes- thats an issue - although tonight I seen a pretty overweight guy - with some cosmic carbones
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,605
    If there is such a thing, I wish someone would tell the old bloke around my area. Well past 60, probably over 70 by the look of him.

Rides a Time RXR Ulteam on Zipps of some sort.

Passes me regularly.

Uphill.

B@stard! :lol:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Sod aerodynamic advantage, they look cool. Use whatever wheels you like.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Only if your colostomy bag gets in the way of your deep sections.
    :wink:
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    dmclite wrote:
    Only if your colostomy bag gets in the way of your deep sections.
    :wink:
    I have aero 420 wheels, so semi deep sections and I have been told that the gyroscopic effect can generate a magnetic field and interfere with my pacemaker!!! at least I will die cycling.

age no limit!
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    kingrollo wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

yes- thats an issue - although tonight I seen a pretty overweight guy - with some cosmic carbones
    it was you I passed then! My god you were struggling, have you ever thought of buying some decent wheels? :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Deep section wheels are a bit last year anyway! Shallow section wheels is where it is at. Lighter, faster, better looking. Nuff said!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • what brakes
    what brakes Posts: 328

Best bleeding not be! as i will be getting some in the next few months! once the insurance pays up! :evil:

:lol:
  • Monty Dog
    Thanks to demographics, I could get a higher placing in races if I rode in the younger age-group categories, aero wheels or not!
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    If your can afford some then get some..... I would love to have deep section rims on mine but they are too expensive. I wouldn't care if I was 60 I would still want all the bling :)
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I'm 47 and I enjoy riding mine, definatly not too old for them. After all I outsprinted Hopper1 on mine wednesday in a race :D:wink:
  • hopper1
    markos1963 wrote:
    I'm 47 and I enjoy riding mine, definatly not too old for them. After all I outsprinted Hopper1 on mine wednesday in a race :D:wink:

B*stard... I just knew you'd have to have a dig about that... :wink:

You rode well, mate... Definately got stronger since the series started.

I guess I'll be riding the Zipps next month then, ready for the shoot out! :twisted:
    I've been studying Cavendish's technique!... Be afraid.... Very afraid... :wink:
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    hopper1 wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

You rode well, mate... definitely got stronger since the series started.

I guess I'll be riding the Zipps next month then, ready for the shoot out! :twisted:
    I've been studying Cavendish's technique!... Be afraid.... Very afraid... :wink:

Blimey,Cavendish eh?, does that mean you're going to cut across my line and take half a dozen of us down? :lol:
  • hopper1
    markos1963 wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

You rode well, mate... definitely got stronger since the series started.

Blimey,Cavendish eh?, does that mean you're going to cut across my line and take half a dozen of us down? :lol:

Nope, just you... :wink:

Nicely, ofcourse... :D