Cassette, Spare bit?

Nylon_Thighs
Nylon_Thighs Posts: 79
edited June 2010 in Workshop
Hi I have just taken a cassette from a set of Pro-Lite wheels (Lucianos') and moved it to a set of Xero Carbons the carbon wrapped Xeros. When I removed the cassette from pro-lites there was a ring on the inside of the cassette which came off last.

When trying to fit to the Xeros' this ring wont fit, the cassette (ultergra 6700 10 spd) fitted no problem and locks into place but this little silver ring wont go on, do I need it?

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,607
    Not necessarily. Some hubs require the use of a spacer for some cassettes. Mavic wheels and Shimano 10 speed cassettes for example require a spacer while Mavic/Campag 10 speed don't. But I'm told that Campag 11 speed on Mavic does need a spacer... go figure.

Anyhoo, if it don't fit and your shift indexing is fine, you don't need it. Just keep it with the Pro-Lite hub
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    the big sprocket on 11 tooth cassettes from campy is cantilevered over the spoke end of the freehub slightly making it closer to the spokes as the stop is essentially against the 10th sprocket, so a spacer is sometimes needed depending on make of hub to give enough spoke clearance for the derailer in bottom gear.
  • Wheelspinner
    rake wrote:
    the big sprocket on 11 tooth cassettes from campy is cantilevered over the spoke end of the freehub slightly making it closer to the spokes as the stop is essentially against the 10th sprocket, so a spacer is sometimes needed depending on make of hub to give enough spoke clearance for the derailer in bottom gear.

I wondered about that, as I've just gone from 10 to 11 speed Campag on Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels, and had problems setting the shifting up to work. Pity Campag don't supply the spacer in the box with the cassette, at the price they charge for them!!
  • Not necessarily. Some hubs require the use of a spacer for some cassettes. Mavic wheels and Shimano 10 speed cassettes for example require a spacer while Mavic/Campag 10 speed don't. But I'm told that Campag 11 speed on Mavic does need a spacer... go figure.

Anyhoo, if it don't fit and your shift indexing is fine, you don't need it. Just keep it with the Pro-Lite hub

ok thanks, the ring seemed to small to fit, I will try again later just for peace of mind though but pretty sure it won't fit. Indexing seemed to work fine and there was no sideways play.
  • Wheelspinner
    The main thing is that when you have fitted the cassette to your new wheel freehub that you can get the lockring torqued up properly so it's nice and solid. If you can achieve that without the spacer, and the shifting works fine, all good.