Shimano SLX or Hope mono m4s

the phantom pieman
the phantom pieman Posts: 165
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
As my HAyes 9s fell apart when I tried to service them, I need to buy some new brakes. I want cost effective .... and I already have discs

So Shimao SLXs or Hope Mono M4 (ps I already have M4s on my other two bikes. Bike use - cross country ....

Need to get them ordered of CRC today!
Cotic Soul
Cotic BFe
Cotic Road Rat
Orange Patriot (2006 version)

Comments

• M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    Elixirs
  • M6TTF wrote:
    Elixirs

Ok - they're about 6 different versions of those from the "r"s down to the the "5"s

And how are they better than SLXs
    Cotic Soul
    Cotic BFe
    Cotic Road Rat
    Orange Patriot (2006 version)
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    I've got Elixir R's fitted to both of my bikes. Lastest one came with the latest XT servowave. They were really nice brakes but I just preferred the feel of the Avids. They have really good progressive feel without feeling vague. (I like a solid feel to my brakes) They're also very slim on the bars due to the taperbore system, there's no bulky resevoir.

Other factor for me was the fact that I already had the avid bleed kit and dot5 fluid on the shelf so it saved on buying a different set up for each bike. With that in mind maybe you should stick with hope? the hopes are stunning bits of kit, but pricey.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    SLX. So reliable, so Shimano.
  • Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    +1 for SLX's, had mine for about a year now, never needed bleeding and still super sharp (literally, over the bars from a few mm's pull sharp)
  • ric7481
    ric7481 Posts: 103
    SLX - £50 front oir rear - no disc - at Ribble this weekend
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Yeah, I like the Shimanos, even if they do go wrong bleeding them is a very easy job, with lots of options depeding on how knackered they are. Zip tie on the levers overnight and top up usually does the job.

Bled a set of Elixirs on the missus bike today actually. Dot oil is a pain in the arse and the bolts/pins Avid use are made of cheese compared to the Shimano. If I wanted light weight I'd go Formula Oros, if I wanted reliable and easy to keep going I'd get Shimano.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    yep , like the last 4 posts say
    shimano = reliable.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    I too would go with the SLX.
    They have a very nice lever action + modulation, even with the biggest discs. Very easy too adjust bite point as the pads wear down. They also have one of the most common brake pad styles/shapes.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Hopes if you want to support british and want infinate spare parts available and don't mind the premium. The modulation is also better with Hope but then Shimano ain't exactly bad :wink:

Shimano if you want amazing value for money and prefer Mineral Oil to DOT fluid (I prefer DOT personally but only because it can survive higher temps and I have been know to cook a set of pads or two and a rotor a little bit :lol: )

Each brake has its pros and cons. If you already have the Hopes and love them then I would say go for it, if you want to try somethings else, the Shimano's are very good
  • peter413
    You must use your brakes too much :wink:

Haven't managed to cook my XT's or Saints :P
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    peter413

This was a Deore M575 and it was the first ever time I tried a proper DH course top to bottom so you can imagine the rear was quite hot at the end :wink:

And it's made a very watery sort of sound ever since which definatly sounds like it has been cooked. Weird things is, the rotor still works absolutely fine and the pads still work ok, they were kevlar pads though and I haven't ever pounded the rotor again since I got a new brake after that
  • peter413 wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    peter413

This was a Deore M575 and it was the first ever time I tried a proper DH course top to bottom so you can imagine the rear was quite hot at the end :wink:

And it's made a very watery sort of sound ever since which definatly sounds like it has been cooked. Weird things is, the rotor still works absolutely fine and the pads still work ok, they were kevlar pads though and I haven't ever pounded the rotor again since I got a new brake after that
    Hehe just winding you up mate :P