TREK 1200 2002

daineseboy
daineseboy Posts: 3
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all

This is my first post so please be gentle with me. :roll:

I have spent the last 20 yrs on various TREK mountain bikes, my current being a 2010 8500. I have never owned a road bike before.

I have recently been given a TREK 1200 Triple 2002 model year size 58, never been ridden. So I decided to upgrade it. It came with TIAGRA groupset. I left the rear and front mech and shifters but upgraded the crankset to TIAGRA hollowtech II. The other upgrades are as follows:-

3T PRO Bars
Bontrager RXL Stem
Ksyrium Equipe wheels
PRO Vibe carbon seatpost
Shimano 105 black brakes
Specialized Avatar saddle
Bontrager Race carbon forks
Shimano Ultegra 12-27 cassette

I know that was a bit long winded, but my question is. Can this bike cut it with all the modern bikes? Or is it worth selling to buy a modern carbon framed bike?

Comments

• paul.k
    paul.k Posts: 90
    if your happy with the bike ride it, if not sell it .
    but why would you do this after spending all this money on new parts that are replacing perfectly good parts anyway ,i would have got my monies worth out of them parts first before upgrading anyway
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    "carbon framed bike"....carbon frames are not nessesarily lighter/stiffer/quicker/comfier than an aluminium frame, just the marketing depts at work. I'm still a beliver that unless you are spending £1500+ you are much better buying a good quality Aluminium bike as opposed to a cheap carbon, which is why the likes of the cannondale CAAD9 are so often recommened on the forum over say the carbon boardmans.

Second to the frame, the tyres/wheels make the biggest difference to performance, you've got some decent Mavics, so I would'nt worry about that.

Overall, if you've just started out on road bikes, it is likely that the Trek is perfectly adequate for now. If in a couple of years you take to it or decide to race keep the trek as a winter bike and buy yourself a new one then.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    I'd have been tempted to sell the Trek (assuming that the person who gave it to you would have been happy for you to do so) and then used this money (likely to be in the region of £250 or more on eBay) + the money that you spent on the upgrades (which looked to be a few quid) and put it all together and then bought a good quality second hand bike.

I believe that this would have secured you a better bike than the Trek that you have upgraded (although I don't want to sound too critical, as it will serve you well I'm sure).

For £600-£700 you would be in secondhand carbon road bike territory and may have found yourself able to buy what may have been a £1500+ bike.

Anyway it's all water under the bridge now, so ride the Trek and enjoy!
  • silverpigeon
    silverpigeon Posts: 327
    I think the Trek that I used to own was a 1.2, 2002 model...might have been 2003.

If I remember correctly this bike has an 'SL Frame' built in the USA, which is easily comparable with alloy frames today and I concur with previous posters, a carbon frame isn't necessarily better, just different.

I did London to Paris and Lands end to John O' Groats on the Trek as well as a few triathlons and it never missed a beat. I wish I hadn't sold it...but hey ho.

To answer your question, yes it can cut it with modern day carbon bikes, as others have said ride it and enjoy.

Only my second post btw. Hello everybody
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc