finger pain

brutaldeluxe09brutaldeluxe09 Posts: 96
edited July 2011 in Downhill, freeride and 4X
I've just started DH riding and it has started to make my fingers really hurt when riding rocky runs. It's on my left hand (rear brake) and it's generally the left three fingers.

I'm riding a hardtail, Cove Stiffee and have ridden trails for 4 years now and never had a problem but I did my first uplift day in Wales a few weeks ago and the next day I could hardly move my fingers. The pain soon went and I had just though nothing more of it, I've ridden 4X twice since then with no problems but I hit the DH thing again last night and had to stop as my fingers were hurting again. Anyone got any ideas?

• AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,800
    Loads of things can cause this, but the most common ones are holding on too tight, and having the brake lever set out too far away from the grip.
    I think it's something that goes away after a while though. I seem to remember suffering from this really badly years ago, then it kind of petered away - so I'm guessing forearm strength has something to do with it too.
  • Luke-DobLuke-Dob Posts: 121
    Iv suffered from this for almost a few years now though recently not as bad.

Bring your brake levers in as mentioned, it stops you straining your fingers and hands
    I found that running smaller grip diameters (I got tiny hands) has helped too
    Relax your grip slightly, you might be 'death gripping' the bars
    Been using a NSD Powerball for the past few months to aid with arm pump and grip, it has helped reduce the pain significantly!

Just hoping that the arm pump wont be a issue when I go Morzine later this year.

Hope this helped!
    "If I Was Falling, YOU BETTER FREAKING CATCH ME!!!"
    6 years riding bikes, 8 broken bones, gravity can be a b**ch
    http://dobby.pinkbike.com/album/My-Bikes-D/
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,800
    Ooh, Arm pump WILL be an issue in Morzine! A Whole week of DHing there, and those fearsome braking bumps wrecked my arms!
  • Jimbob_no5Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    arm pump is something to do with your carpal tunnel i remember reading somewhere, not letting the blood through enough causing a cramp like feeling.

Best bet is to get thicker grips to reduce it, ive been dhing in thick grips for ages till i wrecked them the other day, had to get thin again and by censored it makes a difference as how much shock you get in your fingers, wrist exercises like the powerball thing seem to work
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • synchronicitysynchronicity Posts: 1,770
    Also make sure your levers are tilted to the correct angle, usually the shallower the better.

If you fingers are hurting due to braking a lot, then it's time for bigger disc rotors.
  • so I've still been struggling with the pain, seems as though it's basically pressure being put on the median nerve, one of two nerves running through the wrist. If the hand is in use and the wrist doesn't run straight, mainly a problem if the hand is higher than the wrist, pressure applied to the nerve effects the fingers. For your median nerve it will be the 2 fingers and thumb on the thumb side and for your ulnar nerve it's the two opposing fingers.

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_15_3_2.htm

This explains why moving brake levers is crucial as you need to make sure that your wrist runs straight, especially when in the 'attack position'. One problem I had is that I had set my levers up for a more neutral position on the bike.

Although I now get this when I ride it more than likely started through from my position sat at a computer as I have my keybpoard higher then it should be.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec05/ch071/c ... ch071d-696

"Using a computer keyboard that is positioned improperly can result in carpal tunnel syndrome. To prevent injury, the user should keep the wrist in a neutral position. That is, the line from the hand to the forearm should be straight. The hand may be slightly lower than the forearm. But the hand should never be higher, and the wrist should not be cocked. The keyboard should be positioned relatively low, keeping the hand slightly lower than the elbow. A wrist pad can be used to support the wrist"

With a bit of luck now that I am aware of how the problem is caused I can make adjustments and it should go away over time.
  • Hi there.

I hope you are getting over the grip pains. I found a new grip did the trick for me. Although again it took awhile getting used to it and my hands were quite sore.

I would say that you could invest in one of the those grip exercise tools and strengthen up your hands and your grip so that you body becomes more prepared when you get on the bike.

- Boualem Bouderba
  • captainflycaptainfly Posts: 1,001
    It depens where it hurts, if it's the knuckles on the fingers themselves it is probably a brake lever issue, if it's the knuckle in the hand then it is the grip being too thin, if it is a muscle thing then it would be your hands and forearms where you'd feel it.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Ive suffered real bad arm pump over the years racing moto x, I found a number of things help.

Like while riding try and get into the habit of occasionally moving your fingers this can help if you feel it coming on.

Another thing i did was take ibuprofen just before i left then again after practice,You can buy a product called pump x which supposedly deals with arm pump!

Handlebars and grips softer waffle type grips maybe go for bmx style mushroom jobbers so you can stick the padded donuts on them, I should also consider using renthal bars as if like the moto x ones they take alot more of sting from the trail than any of the others.
  • J_HaleJ_Hale Posts: 26
    I always find i cant let go of my bars after abit of dh'ing. My fingers seize in the gripped position and takes about 10/15seconds for the to relax and release :S :S