My GT and New Giant x4

WelshGiant
WelshGiant Posts: 74
edited August 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Hi everyone recentley bought myself a GT agressor as i was wanting to get back into mountain biking
03042010053.jpg
03042010052.jpg
But then took a lil trip up afan argoed one weekend and realised that the GT jus wasnt good enough, so i bit the bullet and decided to buy myself a new bike. I seen a few bike i like including the Boardman fs comp, lappierre technic 710 and the Giant trance x 4. Read loads of reviews about all of them and opted for the Giant :D
27052010112.jpg
27052010113.jpg
27052010115.jpg
27052010114.jpg
27052010116.jpg
So far i have had it just over two weeks and i havent put it down, its brilliant. what ever i throw at it, it get on with it with no problems. This is my first FS bike and i am well impressed with it, its a beast.

Any upgrades worth doing? or should i just leave it as it is?

hope u all like :D

Comments

• WelshGiant
    Take it nobody likes either of them :?
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    like em, but id have to change the pedals!!
    i ride a hardtail
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    both nice bikes. love the style of the gt frames. nearly bought one myself
  • DJC013
    DJC013 Posts: 94
    A nice looking pair of bikes ! Looked at the GT myself recently, regards Damian. :)
    Current Bike - 1992 Saracen Tufftrax Elite - Now retired !!
    Now have - Carrera Fury 20" :):):)

Link to my Fury pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/28464546@N ... 112905307/
  • WelshGiant
    Cheers both

I was thinking about changing the pedals but havent got a clue what ones to get?
    Have been advised by a friend to get clip in pedals and shoes but im not too keen on the idea?

Heres the spec of the bike

http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/giant/trance-x4-2010/specs
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    there are many threads on here regarding clips/pedals, and what pedals to buy, try a search
    i ride a hardtail
  • WelshGiant
    Fitted some new white V12 wellgo pedals today and have ordered myself a new kenda nevagal stick E 2.35 tyre for the front to try and gain a bit more grip and confidence compared to the 2.1 kendas all round :)
  • pikeg123
    pikeg123 Posts: 46
    Ello mate, Port Talbot I see... Me too haha..

Nice looking bikes there mate, a friend of mine has an aggressor too.. very light bike fair play.. Liking that Giant too.. Like that curvy frame :)
  • WelshGiant
    Another person from Port Talbot thats what i like too see :)

Cheers the GT is up for sale as im no longer gonna use it, the Giant is awsome, really impressed with it :D

U get up afan argoed much?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Put the GTs forks and wheels on the trance.

The GT is a harder riding beast than the Trance really, and some components swapped over may actually lighten the ride, improve performance and make it tougher.
  • pikeg123
    pikeg123 Posts: 46
    Hi mate, yes up afan argoed quite alot.. up there this weekend funny enough lol loves it up there
  • WelshGiant
    supersonic

Theres no way im putting them forks on the on the trance, the toras are ten times better. The toras dont have lock out but i wont need that very often.

There is no comparison between the two, the trance is in a totally different leauge to the GT. When i get some money together i will buy some better forks for the GT. Im gonna leave the trance as it is for quite a while until things start to wear/break then upgrade them.
  • WelshGiant
    Bought some new Wellgo pedals last week and have used them up brecfa and afan argoed twice and have noticed a huge difference over the original pedals, my feet seem to stick to them lol Bought them in white too :D

Also bought a new Kenda nevagal 2.35 tyre for the front as i noticed when i was up brecfa that the front end seemed to wanna slip from underneath me all the time. Been up afan aroged today and noticed a huge difference, grips really well and i feel alot more confident with it :D
  • WelshGiant
    Few pics i took up afan argoed just before windy point section

03072010137.jpg

03072010135.jpg

Really impressed with the bike, feel alot more confident on it compared to the GT which i have now sold anyway.

Only thing i would like to change is the rear shock because it none adjustable. Needs to be a little bit firmer when climbing, bounces about abit too much.

Next on the too do list is the skyline trail up afan but i have heared its a bit of a beast and dont really want to do it by myself lol
  • pvtpile
    pvtpile Posts: 74
    try putting some more air into your shock if you find it too soft might just make enough differance
  • WelshGiant
    Have already done that once, put more air in as the back end was bouncing around too much going downhill. works perfectly well goin downhill now jus bounces around alot climbing.

How much would i be looking at for a new rear shock, that i can adjust?

My mate has got a fox rear shock and i think it has 3-4 stage adjustment on it, something like that i would be after, his came with his cove frame.
  • supersonic
    WelshGiant wrote:
    supersonic

Theres no way im putting them forks on the on the trance, the toras are ten times better. The toras dont have lock out but i wont need that very often.

There is no comparison between the two, the trance is in a totally different leauge to the GT. When i get some money together i will buy some better forks for the GT. Im gonna leave the trance as it is for quite a while until things start to wear/break then upgrade them.

That's odd, as the Revelation has improved internals and is lighter. I'm assuming it is the rev? I may have mis identified lol, is a bit blurred.

That said I love my Tora lol
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    supersonic wrote:
    WelshGiant wrote:
    supersonic

That's odd, as the Revelation has improved internals and is lighter. I'm assuming it is the rev? I may have mis identified lol, is a bit blurred.

That said I love my Tora lol

Suntour XCM isn't it?

The paint scheme on the bike looks like the Aggressor XC3
  • supersonic
    Lol, could well be, for some reason I assumed was the Elite...
  • WelshGiant
    Yes they are suntour xcm's, hopeless they are lol

Sold the gt now anyways :D
  • Few more pic of my bike, i have changed a few bits

GEDC0081.jpg

GEDC0082.jpg

GEDC0083.jpg

GEDC0084.jpg

GEDC0085.jpg

Fitted a new front tyre a Kenda 2.35, was struggling for grip with the 2.1, huge difference now. Also fitted some white Wellgo V8 pedals and some Blue Hope quick release skewers.

Next to get is a Blue Hope seat clamp and maybe upgrade the rear shock to a fox unit if i can find one that will fit :? lol Also need a new rear tyre as its wearing fast as i sometimes use the bike to go to work :o