saddle for heavy rider?

hyperman
hyperman Posts: 232
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
any advice on the best saddle for a 17stone rider? i'm currently using a bontrager saddle off my old bike which isn't very comfy. i've tried a sdg bel air rl saddle and that just wasn't comfortable at all, so i need another....i've been looking around and two saddles have caught my attention....WTB Rocket V Race, and the charge spoon. and before everyone says go out and try them, no bike bike shops near me have any bikes in fitted with either saddles and unless you can try one for a couple of hours you really can't tell anyway..so what are you heavy riders using?

Comments

• Wag$ter
    Wag$ter Posts: 69
    I'm about18 stone and I love my Fizik Gobi XM
  • Oberdiah
    Oberdiah Posts: 25
    Wag$ter wrote:
    I love my Fizik Gobi XM

I'm looking for a new saddle (also suited to bigger bones :lol: ) and was looking at the Charge Spoon. I'd heard of the Fizik but didn't realise how feckin expensive it was :shock: !! Is this the model you have?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=37992
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Before you change saddle, make sure the issue does not come from your padded shorts. What do you use now ?
    Endura for instance make very very good product so maybe try that first ?

A lower rear tyre pressure may also help.
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    Using endura padded shorts already and running low pressure in my rear tyre..it's definitely the saddle..
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I really hope I'm not being insulting or dense here - but are you spending significant time in the saddle or are you just kinda getting into it? If the latter then there is a breaking in period for yo ass as our American cousins with bandanas might say. I started ooput with the world's most uncomfortablle POS, then bought an anatomic pillow (with jewels cut-out) and am now no longer comfortable on anything but the super hard bontragers that I have on my daily bikes - rode the pillow saddle for about twenty minutes the other day and it damn nearly killed me. :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Wag$ter
    Wag$ter Posts: 69
    Oberdiah wrote:
    Wag$ter wrote:
    I love my Fizik Gobi XM

I'm looking for a new saddle (also suited to bigger bones :lol: ) and was looking at the Charge Spoon. I'd heard of the Fizik but didn't realise how feckin expensive it was :shock: !! Is this the model you have?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=37992
    This is the one i have £66.95
    Fizik Gobi
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Specialized do some vey comfy saddles might be worth a trip to a Specialized dealer as they do different widths.

I am a big bloke and I found the SDG BelAir was the best its not what you want to hear but saddles are totally an individual thing what one person loves is an instrument of torture to another. I have a mate who is a big boned chap like me and he uses a Selle Italia roadie saddle I cant even ride his bike in the car park its so uncomfortable but he loves it.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • milt
    milt Posts: 115
    ok i am a newbie and had the same problem and i am 19 stone i purchased the expedition plus no more intense pain can now sit on bike for two hours
    i have rockhopper pro