Michelin Tyres

Andy
Andy Posts: 8,207
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Very vague question but has anyone got any experience with Michelin MTB tyres?

http://www.stendec-works.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=11

I like the look of the slicks, the WildRace'R and WildGrip’R but have no experience of their bike tyres.

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I've got 3 of the XC (66tpi) range and like 'em all round genrally. that 127tpi range look great but i'd double check weight first before hitting the buy button.
  • Andy
    I've just emailed to ask the claimed weights of them. That site actually says 200g for the slicks which sounds promising
  • blister pus
    sounds good then. the claimed weights on their uk site for the XC stuff i've found to be pretty accurate, give or take. i might well have another look at those tougher carcasses when I come up for getting the bullet proof winter selection in.
  • Chronicbint
    Chronicbint Posts: 172
    They came on my Anthem X4, Michelin WildRace R tyres. They seem to do a reasonable job but I have nothing to compare with being quite new to MTB riding. :)
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    One of my mates runs WildRace'R Advanced and loves them.
  • Andy
    Claimed weights -

Run,r 1.40 420g / 1.10 200g.

Race,r 2.00 590 /2.10,700g /2.15 640g / 2.30 750g.
    Grip,r 2.00,575g /2.10,610g / 2.25,680g / 2.40,850g

Tubeless :

Rac'r 2.00, 680g / 2.10, 720g / 2.25, 750g.
    Grip'r 2.00,720g / 2.25, 815g /2.40,1050g
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    The Michelin XC Dry2 (tube type) that came fitted to my RockRider 8.1 don't seem to offer any grip in the wet, and they puncture incredibly easily, the Country Mud (tubelsss type) used during the winter seem to offer some minimal grip, but don't shed the mud off of the side walls at all, so the front forks and wheel get rapidly jammed up...

Apart from all that they're fine !! :wink:
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • Andy
    PXR5 wrote:
    The Michelin XC Dry2 ...don't seem to offer any grip in the wet

Get out of town!
  • blister pus
    XC Dry2 are extremely fussy about pressure, wet or dry. they're better in the wet than the name implies too. get the balance right and they're good at what they do for the conditions they're designed for. no punctures so far and great value.

The 33tpi country range are nasty and a bit pointless for mtb use, you wouldn't give them house room.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i also rate the xc dry2 tyres wet or dry very fast and handle well but dont offer loads of grip in very loose agressive corners and clog up in thick mud but very good on dry trails and general xc.
  • blister pus
    i'll go one step further. too high pressure at speed on loose stuff and you'll die. :lol:
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    Andy wrote:
    PXR5 wrote:
    The Michelin XC Dry2 ...don't seem to offer any grip in the wet

Get out of town!

Now now, if you can't be nice at least be vague..

I would just expect the tyres on my bike to work in a variety of conditions, where I am its dry a lot of the time, cycling is often on dusty and rocky paths, to be kind to the XC Dry2 I found it at best absolutely average in these conditions, with not much confidence cornering, the slighest puddle or shower and the tyres were shocking, the comment about tyres pressures is valid, but i tried a few settings and not much seemed to help. The biggest gripe I have however was their puncture resistance, or lack of, the opinion of a few friends here is that Michelin really tried to reduce the weight, but went a bit too far and lost the robustness necessary.

Having said all that a friend is currently running a Grip R (tubeless) on the back and likes it, but i'm afraid I won't be rushing back any time soon to use Michelin tyres, either Dry or Wet Versions..
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • blister pus
    And I'm in the Peaks and at the moment it's a dust bowl in a lot of the exposed places I ride. And like now, it's p!ssing it down with rain. The point about pressure and the XC Dry 2 is more than valid, it's fundamental to the tyre being good or downright scary and useless - which should not be the case and why I'd mark it well down if I had to give it a 'general user punter score'. They are a pain in the arse to get right. but once right the tyres are good for the conditions they're designed for and give a very comfortable ride. The cornering gives way predictably, which is fine when you get used to it and I've described them as "seat of the pants stuff" elsewhere, which I like personally but understand that cuts both ways. I very nearly gave up on them myself at first until I hit a sweet spot and was rewarded with a very smooth and comfortable ride.

and puncture resistance is fine so far, but I'll reserve judgement till they've had some serious wear.