Lockblocks

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, I'm after a couple of the twofish lockblock style mounts, to use for fixing my light to my helmet (new helmet, I don't think the current mount will work as it did with my old one) and for attaching my MD80 cam to me/the bike.

So I could get them from DealExtreme, but if I can avoid a three week wait by paying a couple of quid extra, I really don't mind. So is there anywhere UK based to get the cheaper lockblock imitations?
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• glennpro09
    glennpro09 Posts: 82
    from here m8 http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/lockblock.html thats where i got mine from, the only thing i had an issue with was they wouldn't stay in one position on damp cold nights, but i bought 2 stainless jubilee clips to fix that issue.
    Shame you never said yesterday, a good day was had we'll have to do it again later in the year
  • bails87
    Yeah it was good.

I also found the lockblocks to be a bit rubbish for bar mounting, the torch shook about too much and never seemed quite secure enough. But I've got one of the DX plastic mounts for that now, and just use the lockblock for the helmet light.

I was hoping for the 'unofficial' lockblocks, because they do those in an inline as well as perpendicular version. If no-one knows of anywhere that does them then I'll just order from DX....
    MTB/CX

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Lockblocks: I find they work well, but can slip on bars. The remedy is to stick a bit of inner tube on the bars, or a smear of silicone sealant, or bar tape, or something; also, do it up tight. When mounting the light, be aware of the centre of gravity and mount it there (not necessarily the middle of the torch).

Twofish do an inline version, called the bikelock - available from the photonshop. There is also a heavier dudy Lockblock, the Cycleblock.

Steer clear of Fenix's own mount.
  • bails87
    alfablue wrote:

Twofish do an inline version, called the bikelock - available from the photonshop. There is also a heavier dudy Lockblock, the Cycleblock.
    Ah, thanks!

And I'm not going to be mounting a torch to the bars with them. Just the MD80 camera, which is the same size and weight as a USB stick, so no slipping issues there.
    MTB/CX

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    ah yes, I used one for my md80 - worked really well.
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    bails87 wrote:

And I'm not going to be mounting a torch to the bars with them. Just the MD80 camera, which is the same size and weight as a USB stick, so no slipping issues there.

Would you be able post pics of your mount once you have it. I have just bought one of the MD80 and its pretty good for a tenner but I'm not sure of the best way to mount it to me or the bike.
    Cheers
  • bails87
    alexj2233 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Would you be able post pics of your mount once you have it. I have just bought one of the MD80 and its pretty good for a tenner but I'm not sure of the best way to mount it to me or the bike.
    Cheers

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... d#16156225

I've already got one. but it's shared between torch and camera duties at the moment.
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    moggy82 wrote:
    Me!

PM sent :wink:
    MTB/CX