Dopey question

Oceanblue
Oceanblue Posts: 158
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
:oops: I bought my first road bike early this year and I'm loving it! Its using a blend of 105 levers and an Ultegra rear derailer. I'm having some issues with using the left shifter to engage the front derailer. Some times it seems in the mood to move and other times it doesn't.

I've taken it back to the shop but as is predictable it worked fine. :roll: I then let an experienced guy look at it and again it worked fine and he suggested that I was perhaps not pushing the lever long enough - but to be fair that has made no difference so its back to basics for me as I have a hunch I'm missing something obvious.

To move the rear derailer its the right hand small lever to move into the bigger gears and the bigger right hand one to move back into the smaller gears... so in plain english could someone give me an idiots guide to what I should expect and how I should use the left hand shifters/levers... You talk about feeling stupid :oops: :roll:

Thankfully this forum has Road Beginners section :wink:

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shimano shiftersr -

Little lever - Little cog.
    Big lever - Big cog.

Same for both...
  • Oceanblue
    and is it a single positive push to engage each way?

Shouldn't be to hard to use or figure out whats wrong then... we'll see! Enjoying your tweets Nap!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Oceanblue wrote:
    and is it a single positive push to engage each way?

Shouldn't be to hard to use or figure out whats wrong then... we'll see! Enjoying your tweets Nap!

It is...

Cheers!
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    There is a known issue with some 105 shifters. Check out some previous threads;

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/search.php?mode=results
  • PeeDee
    PeeDee Posts: 88
    Three things to think about:

1) Shimano levers have a 'half-way' position on the front changer that allows you to adjust the shifter a little to avoid chain rub . Are you definitely giving the front shifter lever a big shove to change up, not just stopping at the first little click?

2) It can sometimes be hard to change the front ring if you have the chain on the extreme inner/outer cogs on the rear block. If this is the case try moving the chain closer to the middle on the back before changing gear on the front.

3) It can sometimes be hard to change gear if you are pressing down hard on the pedals at the same time. Could this be why it works fine on a stand in the shop but you struggle while riding on a hill?

Hope this helps.
  • Oceanblue
    Took the bike out this morning taking all your points on board and it seems to have helped folks thanks! Thank goodness for a beginners section here...

Next dopey question - whats the theory or difference behind wet lube and dry? what should I be using on the chain and when... ta
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I believe that the wet lube is extra sticky and predominantly designed for cross trails, etc. I use the dry lube for good and bad weather for normal cycling and just make sure I clean off reguarly and relube (seems to be working because the chain still looks sparkling after over 1,000 miles). Not sure that is advice or just an insight into my world :)