thin road slick type tyres

smellmyhamster
smellmyhamster Posts: 5
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hello mountain bike people.

I want to buy a new set of wheels for my 26" 6 bolt disk brake bike. A set of narrow road tyres like a racer would be magic. I can then interchange them with my nobblies as required.

What wheels do I buy, will 700c racer wheels fit? I want a tyre about 1.125" wide to keep me safe but make me go like the wind. It's the width of the rim I presume that is the important bit, websites don't seem to divulge this information.

Any recommendations? (I don't want to spend a million pounds on carbon fibre encrusted with jewels, equally wouldn't be happy with wheels made out of cheese strings)

Comments

• ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Just get some Conti Gator Skins.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • That's the easy bit, what will they fit on? any mtb wheel?
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    If you've got a MTB then 26" tyres! No, 700 will not fit a a MTB wheel (although not too sure about a 29er).

I personally think 1.5" tyres are the best compromise. Too thin and high pressure makes it a bumpy ride with no real increase in speed over a good 1.5" rubber.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • go do some research
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    1.4 michelin xc road is a training tyre for mtb rims. ace for speed and death and whatnot, i'm banned.
  • blister pus
    or 1.35 Schwalbe Kojak if you can find

and Geax Street Runner at 1.25
  • so 1.25 are ok on a normal 26 rim? can you go any smaller?
  • blister pus
    edited June 2010
    i've not seen any lower than those Geax 1.25 and they are dedicated mtb tyres.

saying that and looking, Continental Ultra Gator Skin is 1.2
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Wider tyres have less rolling resistance for a given pressure. Sure they're slightly less aero, but that hardly matters given a mountain bike ain't gonna be very aero anyway. Don't be seduced by narrow tyres just because you see them on road bikes.

Kojak are a great tyre for going fast, but if you want more protection and durability then Schwalbe Marathon Supreme are the dogs.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    you can fit 700c wheels with thin slick tyres into a mtb frame,
    get some conti 28c tyres nice and plush but still nice and quick.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    go do some research

Not sure what that means?
    Stuy-b wrote:
    you can fit 700c wheels with thin slick tyres into a mtb frame,
    get some conti 28c tyres nice and plush but still nice and quick.

Yes, you may be able to fit 700c wheels into an MTB frame, but the OP wants tyres to fit on MTB wheels.

You need 26" tyres. So for example these 26"x1.3" slicks would fit, assuming you've got normal (17-19mm wide) rims.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."