MKS Pedals - Evans - Recommendations please.

Veronica Bottoms
Veronica Bottoms Posts: 94
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
I'm after a standard pair of pedals for my road bike but not sure which ones to purchase.

They need to be from Evans and I'm on a tight budget so I've narrowed it to these three.

MKS Sylvan Touring Pedals http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mks ... s-ec012137

MKS Sylvan Pedals http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mks ... s-ec005315

MKS GR-9 Pedals http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mks ... s-ec005316

My main use for my road bike is fitness/sprinting(30 mIle avg) and occasional long commutes.

The touring are light weight but does that mean they are weak when sprinting?

I don't have a clue what I'm really looking for. At the moment I'm swayed between the Sylvan and the GR-9's. Does anyone own any of these or able to give me an insight into which would be a better choice?

I intend to add some toe clips as well.

I will eventually move to clipless pedals but for the time being I just need something cheap and cheerful as I don't own bike shoes.

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I have your first choice - the touring pedals) on two bikes now as they are nice and wide for flat pedals. I would recommend the hard platic toe clips (Zefal I think) with them as there are no straps, but keep your feet securely in place. Unless you have really small feet, go for the large toe clips as you can get your feet out really easily in a hurry.
  • t84
    t84 Posts: 119
    I have the MKS Prime Sylvan and they're very nice :)
  • Gerardus
    Gerardus Posts: 1
    I just bought my first shiney new road bike and bought the MKS Sylvan Touring Pedals with it.

They are wide and looked a bit like clowns feet on my sleek new bike initially. I have since put a pair of toe clips on them and they don't look so bad.

I also bought from evans and remember making a choice between the other pedals you mentioned. I went for the touring ones because the other two are one sided pedals which I had on my old racer. I found these annoying when I was commuting in town as I always had to push off on the pedal axel as they always hang downwards.

I chose these ones because I was looking to have toeclips on one side and a flat pedal on the other. They do that but don't look so cool. If I keep the road cycling up, some day soon I may trade them in for some clipless. But they do the job for the moment.
  • Gerardus wrote:
    I just bought my first shiney new road bike and bought the MKS Sylvan Touring Pedals with it.

They are wide and looked a bit like clowns feet on my sleek new bike initially. I have since put a pair of toe clips on them and they don't look so bad.

I also bought from evans and remember making a choice between the other pedals you mentioned. I went for the touring ones because the other two are one sided pedals which I had on my old racer. I found these annoying when I was commuting in town as I always had to push off on the pedal axel as they always hang downwards.

I chose these ones because I was looking to have toeclips on one side and a flat pedal on the other. They do that but don't look so cool. If I keep the road cycling up, some day soon I may trade them in for some clipless. But they do the job for the moment.

It seems you were in the same boat as me. I don't really like the look of them myself but like you just need something to get me going. I'll also upgrade in the future.

Thanks everyone for their input, much appreciated.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    I've had the MKS Touring pedals on my commuter (without clips) for a few years now. I like them a lot; they look good, they are comfortable (good support) and they spin nicely. I'd say that the touring pedals are best for riding without clips, the racing pedals are good if you are thinking about clips (they are single sided) and the GR--9s would be best if you are definite about clips (they can't really be used without them.

You won't need to upgrade them unless you decide to go to clipless pedals (which MKS doesn't make apart from an SPD for travel bikes).