Upgrading my first bike.

tastyclaw
tastyclaw Posts: 8
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hello all, first post here.

About a year ago, I got myself a Rockhopper Disc 2009 (http://bit.ly/bwY9Cc for specs)

I bought it through the cycle2work scheme and have used it every day since; part road, part trail on my route to work.

As the year is almost up, I'm now looking to upgrade what I can.

The problem is, I'll admit, I still know almost nothing about bikes so would be very grateful if anyone could have a look at my bike specs now and basically tell me what the worst things on the bike are and what I should be looking to change.

Like I said, it gets 6 miles use everyday and I'm now looking to start taking it to some forest trails, locally and put it through its paces.

All in all, I'd say my budget was £500-600 but I'd like to upgrade as much as possible, rather than spend all that on a pair of forks. But please let me hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Start with what's broken/doesn't work as it should.
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    You don't have to spend all of it on forks, look at melin for some deals on a reba or similar.

With the rest of your budget you could look at lighter wheels or gears/brakes, whatever you think needs improving.

TBH the bike would probz work fine as it is on simple forest trails. It might be worth waiting until you've taken it on some trails and then you'll find the limitations of some components.
  • baba123
    baba123 Posts: 235
    a tora or recon fork for under 250 and some grippier and bigger tyres for when you feel like going on the trails for under 50 quid
    nothing else apart for pedals possibly
    mongoose amasa elite 08
    giant anthem x4 10
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    tastyclaw wrote:
    All in all, I'd say my budget was £500-600 but I'd like to upgrade as much as possible, rather than spend all that on a pair of forks. But please let me hear your thoughts.

I'd avoid this, you'll end up wanting another upgrade again. Upgrade once and do it properly, maybe wheels, tyres and forks.
  • mf5
    mf5 Posts: 207
    Upgrage your wheels any left over money on tyres, but get best wheels you can afford they make the biggest difference on a bike
  • tastyclaw
    Thanks for your suggestions, I'm surprised you've mentioned changing the wheels/forks over anything else.

I'd have thought my chainset and derailleurs were probably the most in need of upgrading.

I was looking at the SRAM X.0 set - rear mech and a pair of shifters and x.9 front mech.

But if I did that, would they work with my shimano cogs or would I have to change those for SRAMs (Truvativ Noir) too?

And would I need to buy a new bottom bracket or will the shimano octalink work with the Noir cranks?

If you go to the SRAM site and choose the red colour scheme, that's pretty much all the things I could get (plus x9 front and pedals) for about £650

It's kind of doing my head in now, because I don't know enough about what is interchangeable or not.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to put the upgrades in context. the X0 is nice stuff, and will work with the chain, cassette and chainset - but is it worth it? I don't think so.

Upgrading the fork to a Reba will save a pound in weight and increase performance.

If wanting to upgrade shifters I'd get XT, and also an XT cassette as these are nice and light.

Put the rest into a new set of wheels and you are liable to really increase performance and lose weight rather than the silly expense of x0.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    mf5 wrote:
    Upgrage your wheels any left over money on tyres, but get best wheels you can afford they make the biggest difference on a bike

?

Would have thought the fork would make a bigger difference... No? Especially if he's running something like the Dart 3. The Hopper is pretty light as it is and I've never heard anybody say the standard wheels were cack.

The stock Spesh tyres are not much cop in typically British conditions. I'd swap them for a set of 2.2 Maxxis Minions or High Rollers.

The Rebas on sale at Merlin are supposed to be great forks and and are what I'd stick on mine when it's time to upgrade.

IF you really want to upgrade the wheels I wouldn't (personally) spend more than £200 on something like a set of Mavic Crossrides. But only if your current wheels are fecked.

Depending on the sort of riding you do I'd swap the fork and possibly upgrade the Tektro brakes for something a bit beefier and with better feel.

The above assumes you're riding the Dart specced Hopper.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    combine chunkers1980, alexj2233 and ride whenevers sound advice.

Assuming your totally happy with the fit (which can be tweaked by choice of bars, stem, peddles, seat):

1) stuff that wears out/breaks: replace

2)find out what it is on the bike thats limiting your riding: you need to KNOW your riding style and terrain BEFORE you can do this.

3)when you buy somthing to address 2) get quality.

changing those fast track tyres will be a priority as soon as you hit the trails tho :wink:
  • mf5
    mf5 Posts: 207
    mac man wrote:
    mf5 wrote:

?

Would have thought the fork would make a bigger difference... No? Especially if he's running something like the Dart 3. The Hopper is pretty light as it is and I've never heard anybody say the standard wheels were cack.

The stock Spesh tyres are not much cop in typically British conditions. I'd swap them for a set of 2.2 Maxxis Minions or High Rollers.

The Rebas on sale at Merlin are supposed to be great forks and and are what I'd stick on mine when it's time to upgrade.

IF you really want to upgrade the wheels I wouldn't (personally) spend more than £200 on something like a set of Mavic Crossrides. But only if your current wheels are fecked.

Depending on the sort of riding you do I'd swap the fork and possibly upgrade the Tektro brakes for something a bit beefier and with better feel.

The above assumes you're riding the Dart specced Hopper.

I have dart 2s (i think) on my bike and upgraded the wheels made massive difference and much better ride now. The bike runs on the wheels they do make the biggest difference in performance. IMO upgrade wheels first
  • supersonic
    Hmm, a Dart2 weighs 5.4lbs. A reba 3.6lbs. I think I'd be tempted fork first to be honest.
  • baba123
    baba123 Posts: 235
    a wheel reduces rolling weight a fork can lower the weight and improve bump performance which will improve the speed as well
    mongoose amasa elite 08
    giant anthem x4 10
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    It depends on the sort of riding you do as well. For XC work the Dart is probably OK. As soon as you're hitting anything more aggressively it soon runs out of ability. I ride my sons Rockhopper and have another bike fitted with a humble Tora U-Turn fork.

The Tora equipped bike is much better going downhill, where the Hopper seems to be guided by a pogo stick sometimes.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • tastyclaw
    OK, I'm trying to make a decision as soon as I can, so will try not to keep bumping this thread up, but what do you think about this combo?

Rockshox Recon 351u-turn Fork and
    a pair of Hope Hoops Pro 2 (DT Swiss Rims)
  • supersonic
    The fork is wasted - as you cannot run more than 110mm travel on this frame, and is also heavy. I'd stick with the air spring reba.

Wheels sound good for weight savings.
  • tastyclaw
    Thanks, that's the advice I need. Cheers.