Fair Play classification?

davesvord
davesvord Posts: 80
edited June 2010 in Pro race
What is the Fair Play classification?

In the Giro Team Sky came last with 1217 points, the next nearest team was Astana with 345 and the winners were Liquigas with 4pts.

See bottom of http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/93rd-g ... 21/results

What is the Fair Play award and how is it scored?

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'd guess hanging onto motorbikes gets you a lot of points. :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    The day Evans and Righi had their tussle both BMC and Lampre were given 200pts in it, so presumably all the little transgressions get added up as they go along.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Feeding inside the final 20 km, drafting behind cars / motorbikes, finishing outside the time limit (like a whole load of riders did in L'Aquila... and so on. Presumably Sky were last because they were the only team to have a rider disqualified.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'd guess getting caught hanging onto motorbikes when you're not Italian gets you a lot of points. :wink:

Corrected....
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I'm surprised Sky News haven't made a headline out of this:

"Team Sky dominate the other squads in the Giro "Fair Play" Classification, scoring nearly 3 times the points of the next ranked team"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    A warning earns 0.50 points; a fine is worth 1 point for every 10 Swiss francs; a time penalty is worth 2 points per second; a declassification is worth 100 points; a disqualification/explusion is worth 1000 points; and a positive doping control is worth 2000 points.

1 Liquigas - Doimo 4 pts
    2 Colnago - CSF Inox 50
    3 Cervelo TestTeam 52
    20 Garmin - Transitions 322
    21 Astana 345
    22 Sky Professional Cycling Team 1217

:roll:

Are Sky the dirtiest, cheating-est, rulebreaking-est outfit in pro cycling? Discuss...
  • yakubu22
    yakubu22 Posts: 20
    LangerDan wrote:
    I'm surprised Sky News haven't made a headline out of this:

"Team Sky dominate the other squads in the Giro "Fair Play" Classification, scoring nearly 3 times the points of the next ranked team"

Someones been following the Sky Team website, haven't they...

Sky site sometimes reads like a North Korean state newspaper, ie: Sky rider crosses road, translates to " glorious hero of sporting revolution, struggles for the glory of the team to surmount all obstacles in glorious crusade to conquer other side of road for the glory of the mighty team, gloriously"
    Cannondale Synapse Ultegra 2010
    Trek 2700 2005
    Audi TT
    Fiat Panda 100HP
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    yakubu22 wrote:
    Sky site sometimes reads like a North Korean state newspaper,

Have you met Kim Jong-Dave?

David-Brailsford-001.jpg

"I'm so ronery"

'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • yakubu22
    yakubu22 Posts: 20
    LangerDan wrote:
    yakubu22 wrote:
    Sky site sometimes reads like a North Korean state newspaper,

Have you met Kim Jong-Dave?

David-Brailsford-001.jpg

"I'm so ronery"

Suddenly it all becomes clear!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Cannondale Synapse Ultegra 2010
    Trek 2700 2005
    Audi TT
    Fiat Panda 100HP
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  • doddy178
    doddy178 Posts: 66
    Kléber wrote:
    A warning earns 0.50 points; a fine is worth 1 point for every 10 Swiss francs; a time penalty is worth 2 points per second; a declassification is worth 100 points; a disqualification/explusion is worth 1000 points; and a positive doping control is worth 2000 points.

22 Sky Professional Cycling Team 1217

Are Sky the dirtiest, cheating-est, rulebreaking-est outfit in pro cycling? Discuss...

Sky's points were mostly scored from Froome's DQ and I've been following the fair play classification (don't ask why, I really don't know!), the majority of the other 217 points were scored in Holland, probably after drafting cars back into the peloton etc.

Anyway, I do like that classification, it is quite interesting.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's actually a good count and a season-long version would be interesting, especially if it carried relegation from the Pro Tour.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ive seen the fairplay logo on the team kits, but I had no idea it was an actual competition.
    Can we make the leaders all wear the same colour hat or something like they used to do with the team classification pre helmet days ?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I missed that Froome got dsq'd what was that for?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • doddy178
    doddy178 Posts: 66
    prawny wrote:
    I missed that Froome got dsq'd what was that for?

Holding onto a motorbike on a climb. - Thats the official line.

The Sky line is - He was injured and wanted to make it to the feed station where he could return with the team car to the hotel, so he held onto a motorbike to get there.