Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Fulcrum Racing 5 Upgrade Options?

Sean1504Sean1504 Posts: 101
edited June 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

My bike came with Fulcrum Racing 5's and was wondering if anyone can suggest any upgrades or even if people think it's worth upgrading at all.

Thanks,

Sean

• AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    Budget?

What riding do you do?
  • Sean1504Sean1504 Posts: 101
    Probably up to £400.

The roads round my way are generally a disgrace so they'd need to be able to handle a pot hole or 2! I'll be starting a 22 mile each way commute 3 times a week from this week or next and then be riding for myself at weekend's.
    Don't 'upgrade' then... No point.

There! That saved you some cash!
    Thanks NapD!

I'm planning on doing some triathlons later in the year if I wanted to invest in some 'race' wheels would I be looking at something like Easton EA70's (just been searching through other posts)?
    Again, don't bother!

Not a lot to gain!
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,859
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Again, don't bother!

Not a lot to gain!

+1
    Instead of new wheels, for race day, just get some nice lightweight tyres and tubes, will give you a noticeable difference.

I find the Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 (new version) is excellent.
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Seven 622SL Kestrel RT1000 On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • miurasvmiurasv Posts: 345
    NapoleonD wrote:

So are there any benefits to having good or more expensive wheels on rougher roads or are they only for smooth roads?
  • fnb1fnb1 Posts: 591
    depends what you want from the upgrade?
    If you are looking for considerably lighter, and still stiff strong wheel then you may struggle with a £400 budget.

How heavy are you? You could try some Xero wheels, cheap and light but if you are a powerful or heavy rider they may not last that long.

other than that, if it is weight then you will probabaly only gain 200g or so by going to the Fulcrum 3 or first of the Ksyriums, if you are lucky, within the budget mentioned. Depending on what tyres you already run you could probabaly achieve the same saving by upgrade to cassette, tyres, tubes and skewers. You will get to a simialr weight but will not have reduced where you get the most benefit of the weight reduction, i.e. in the rim, reduction in rim weight gives the best prefromance improvement, you will feel the wheel spin up much more freely etc. That said you could also try Planet X or Quest for 'budget' performance wheels but I am not sure how they will compare to the tried and tested Fulcrum 5s.

To be honest to get a real preformance upgrade I think you might need to look in the £600 to £800 price bracket.

IMHO much above that (with the exception of TT wheels) you are paying for bling and improvements that are so marginal it may not be worth it unless you are competing at a high level or the spend is insignificant to your disposable income.
    fay ce que voudres
  • LillywhiteLillywhite Posts: 742
    Sean1504 wrote:
    The roads round my way are generally a disgrace so they'd need to be able to handle a pot hole or 2! I'll be starting a 22 mile each way commute 3 times a week from this week or next and then be riding for myself at weekend's.

Personally, I'd go the other way if it was me and save the Fulcrum Racing 5's for weekends and get a cheap pair of wheels for around £100 for my daily commute.
    miurasv wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

So are there any benefits to having good or more expensive wheels on rougher roads or are they only for smooth roads?

No, a good set of wheels can be used for anything but what I was getting at was the fact that for the OPs budget he will see very little, if any, improvement over what he has...

Dura Ace carbon clinchers are a very good example of fast light wheels that are comfortable over rough surfaces. They really are excellent wheels!
    Lillywhite wrote:
    Sean1504 wrote:

Personally, I'd go the other way if it was me and save the Fulcrum Racing 5's for weekends and get a cheap pair of wheels for around £100 for my daily commute.

Do this!
  • EKIMIKEEKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Some handbuilts?

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/wheelprices.htm

Look at IRD Cadence or Ambrosio Excellight for around £400. Can't believe non of the fanboys have piped up yet :lol:

Excellights on 6700 hubs looks pretty good and should be solid. Wouldn't commute on them. Leave the 5's for that.
    I get my new front wheel from Wheelsmith at the end of the week. It's going to be crazy light for a clincher! IRD Cadence Road Front, CX Ray Spokes and Extralight Hub. :o
  • EKIMIKEEKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    IRD Cadence on PMP hubs should be a fair bit lighter than Ambrosio/Ultegra actually.
    So options suggested so far:

Do nothing
    Buy some cheap wheels for the commute and save the Racing 5's for my weekend rides (any suggestions)
    Buy some handbuilts for the weekend stuff/racing

What do people reckon?
    Sean1504 wrote:
    So options suggested so far:

Do nothing
    Buy some cheap wheels for the commute and save the Racing 5's for my weekend rides (any suggestions)
    Buy some handbuilts for the weekend stuff/racing

What do people reckon?

One of the first two. Try Planet X Model B for the cheap wheels if that's what you decide to do...
  • LillywhiteLillywhite Posts: 742
    NapoleonD wrote:

One of the first two. Try Planet X Model B for the cheap wheels if that's what you decide to do...

I agree unless you are a serious racer and you have a plus 3 grand bike then stick with the Fulcrum Racing 5's, which incidentally I put on the full carbon bike, at present shod with 23mm Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres that I built up in January and this combination is really good.

What you really need is the cheaper wheels with tough tyres for your daily commute and if you must splash the cash on a third pair of wheels then you can always consider upgrading to Fulcrum Racing 3's at a later date with some really decent and more expensive lighter tyres when you reach Category 2 racing level. :wink: