Lost crank bolt...

sarkmeister
sarkmeister Posts: 142
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

I've just noticed that I seem to have a lost the crank bolt from the left side of the crankset on my bike (Raceface Ride XC). Must have fallen off when riding yesterday.

What do I need to buy to replace it? Do I just need a M15 crank bolt? Are they all the same or do I need a Raceface one?

Cheers for the advice...
Orange Crush 2010
Trek 1.5c

Comments

• Take the other one out and take to LBS to see if they have the right one...
  • sarkmeister
    Take the other one out and take to LBS to see if they have the right one...

Good thinking. Ill do this tomorrow...Cheers.
    Orange Crush 2010
    Trek 1.5c
  • sarkmeister
    Slight change of plan...

I've just spoken to a friend who has the same bike (Orange Crush 2010), and it seems that his bike doesnt have a bolt in the left crank either. Now I dont know if there was ever one there...

Is this normal? Surely that just means loads of cr4p can get into the bottom bracket?
    Orange Crush 2010
    Trek 1.5c
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    There isn't a bolt in the Non-Drive side crank.

But no, that doesn't mean lots of crap can get into the BB since it is just a hollow spindle/axel/whatever you want to call it :lol:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Don't get how this system works, I've never seen one - it appears to be external but does not have the axel built in to the drive crank.

RF site says M15 ISIS 8mm hex - no idea how it would stay on without it?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the external RF have the bolt on the drive side. so the axle is attached to the non drive side.

try Parktools it can help.

racefaceXtype_20.jpg

OP is this what you have as earlier versions were not External X type.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown