Newbie training advice

StillGoing
StillGoing Posts: 5,211
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
I came to cycling as a means to maintain a modicum of fitness for motorcycle racing. Due to injuries my days with an engine are all but over so I've turned to road cycling for my kicks. I've armed myself with a Trek 1.5c 2010 and had clips fitted.

Now this cycling lark isn't as easy as it seems. At 49 years old and 12st, I'm a stone or two overweight although I'm naturally stocky in build. I have a resting HR of 60 but find it quickly rises to the mid 150s when exercising. I've done one 30 miler in a pathetic 2hrs 14mins but in my defence most of the route was on a gradual gradient. I try keeping my cadence in the mid 80s/low 90s but still seem to be struggling as today even a short 10 miler took me just under an hour. (Again the route had a gradual climb most of the way round and the wind had picked up on the return leg.) My riding is all done at the weekend as the traffic on my comute is too dangerous to contemplate and I also need access to the car, so I suspect my difficulty in finding any improvement is down to time in the saddle. Anyone else found this or am I barking up the wrong tree completely?
I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.

Comments

• macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    How long have you been cycling?
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    With the road stuff? Started around Feb time but it's only been at weekends and I have to confess to be a little reluctant to venture out if it's a downpour or very windy.

WHen I was doing the hybrid stuff on my Marin I was working elsewhere and able to commute several times a week. My times were a lot better then; about 15mins for the 5 miles and weekend 15 milers were done in around 45 minutes.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.