What bike...

RossW
RossW Posts: 77
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
Hi, New here... great resource!

I'm currently finding a love for road cycling (currently cycling on MTB with slicks due to recovering shoulder dislocation).

I have narrowed down my options for what bike to get to the following:
Scott Attempt.
Boardman Team Carbon

Both have the same price tag, I'm pretty sure i;ve made up my mind.. But feel that I need reassuring before spending the money.

Any advice greatly received!

Ross

Comments

• STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    You mean Cube Attempt right?

See if you can test ride, Halfords have a reputation as being a bit shoddy, despite the Boardman bikes being fantastic value and very well regarded on here.

If it were me i'd get the Boardman but the Cubes do look nicer....
  • RossW
    Yes sorry, I did mean the Cube - Was in a bit of a mix after reading / looking at over 15 bikes recently lol

Boardman does Scream "buy me" but, Im unsure as the one review where the frame snapped in half pretty easy. . .
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    RossW
    if you have the funds to jump straight to carbon do it - you will only end up upgrading later otherwise, The Boardman is v respected as an all round value bike and snapping would be mistreatment of a defect - the latter can be a fluke any frame might suffer

I looked at the Boradman, and would study a Ribble to, but jumped for the Willier on the link below and never regretted it
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • The Boardman is a lovely bike and fantastic value. Don't let the frame snapping put you off, as was said above, would have been mistreatment and not likely to happen in usual use. I've had my (Ltd Ed) for 6 months now and love how it rides. If you're concerned about Halfords set up, take it straight to a/your LBS and get them to check it over/set it up for you. Mine'snot been back to Halfords since I collected itand won't be going back unless there's a warranty issue!
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • RossW
    The halfords issue was a problem as well, The plan is (should i get the Boardman) to pick it up boxed, and take it to my LBS and have them assemble it.

So, key points are, if I can jump to a carbon straight off I should?

I shall check out the wilier also, Thanks!
  • RossW wrote:
    So, key points are, if I can jump to a carbon straight off I should?

Yes. If you don't, you will get into cycling and end up having to upgrade to a carbon bike in the very near future!! It's more expensive to do it that way!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    There have been several cases of Boardman's snapping, the 09 frames certainly, not heard anything about the 10 frames. This isn't down to mistreatment, I was speaking to a Cat 2 racer on my commute last week who have snapped the down and seat tubes around the bottom bracket during a race (the Boardman was his commuter and he was racing it as a test).

However, Halfords replaced the frame with no questions asked, as I understand they have done in all such cases so I'm confident that they will do the same in all cases.

Mate of mine is looking for a sub £1k (C2W) bike for triathlons and I've steered him to the Boardman because it's supposed to be such a good bike.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • slowlanejane
    slowlanejane Posts: 312
    HI there. Got my first roadie last Autumn, I looked at Boardmans because of the great write-ups they get bt didn't get one in the end because the medium was too big and the small too small. Took ages to find a small in stock that I could sit on, hallfords not good at that stuff and not many small models built in shop stock to try, reckon you'll be OK to test Med / large. Great bike but didn't feel right for me. Sizing is really important on a road bike, unlike MTBs there's no margin of error and you'll be constantly tweaking and fiddling to correct / avoid body niggles if you're doing mileage. So whatever you gofor, check the size is right - top tube & stem length. Lots of info on here if you check the threads.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    RossW wrote:
    the one review where the frame snapped in half pretty easy. . .

Funny how people forget the thousands of reviews where it didn't snap eh? :wink:
  • slowlanejane
    slowlanejane Posts: 312
    BTW, this carbon fixation at your/my budget level is a red herring IMO. Good alu frame with carbon seatpost & forks is a great solution, lightweight, durable, all year soln, it'll be years before you're as good as the bike. If you turn out that good, use your alu/carbon as a winter machine and buy a summer carbon shiny later on. Choose the right bike by size & feel, not the brand or material.