Zero setback post ?

NRS_Comp1
NRS_Comp1 Posts: 63
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone, I need your advice on bike fitting. I'm looking into buying a zero setback seatpost because my saddle is at his most forward position with my 20mm setback seatpost and my knee seems to be a little behind the center of my pedal so it feels like I lack overall power when I pedal.

I have pretty short leg for my height (5 foot 10 but only about 30 inch inseam) and I suspect my femur is quite short so I would like to know if having my knee completely over the center of my pedal will help me have more power in each stroke ? Or is it more a question of personal preference ? I've read that the pros actually pedal quite far back and their knee is behind the center of the pedal which would make them more powerful, is it true ?

If you have any suggestion as to which post I should consider please feel free to comment. I've been so far looking at a Thomson masterpiece, FSA SL-K, Easton EC70, 3T Doric...?Any other better options ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• black20vt
    black20vt Posts: 39
    Try flipping your current seatpost 180 degrees and re mount your saddle so it is a bit more forward, see how you get on with different positions before buying a new seatpost
  • NRS_Comp1
    NRS_Comp1 Posts: 63
    black20vt wrote:
    Try flipping your current seatpost 180 degrees and re mount your saddle so it is a bit more forward, see how you get on with different positions before buying a new seatpost

That might be indeed the best thing to do for the time being. Although I would just like to know the benefits of having your knee over the center of the pedal versus having it behind like I'm set up right now ?

Cheers !
  • How did you get on with this mate?? I am in same dilemna currently, 20mm setback on current seatpost, saddle all the way forward and plumline just behind pedals so thinking about swapping to a zero setback.

Anyone else done the same??
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10