Neck craning - adjustable stem?

furrag
furrag Posts: 481
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
At the moment I have a stem too long. It's +6 degrees and 110mm.

I was thinking of getting a 90mm and +6 degrees to reduce reach as my lower back hurts on longer rides, and more so when I'm on the deep (150mm) drops. I've since got new bars (125mm drop with 80mm reach), so this will give the back some rest.

However my neck cranes when in a more aerodynamic position (my seat isn't too high, and my helmet/glasses are fine!). I was thinking of getting an 80mm Ritchey Comp adjustable stem to play with the height. Is this wise, or is there reason not to get it? (I ask because it doesn't seem like its commonly used to determine a comfortable riding position!)

Comments

• jimmcdonnell
    jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
    Go and get a bike fitting. Loads of people on here can recommend you somewhere, I went to

http://www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk/

with almost identical symptoms to you. 2hrs and a few millimetre adjustments later, problem gone, with improved not compromised riding position. (And I was told to do hamstring stretching exercises too to allow my hips to rotate forward while riding thus flattening my back and un-arching my neck)

Not cheap at £85 (when I went, I believe it's more now), but it's an investment you won't regret.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell