Cycle Clothing - Where to Start?

chrism_scotland
chrism_scotland Posts: 221
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
Looking for some advice on what cycle gear I should be looking to get, ordering my Giant Defy 2 and want to order some cycling kit also.
I have a pair of MTB SPD shoes that will do me for now I think but what else should I be looking to get and are there any recommendation on brand or particular items?

Cheers!

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Get a good pair of shorts/bibshorts (or two if you ride often, so one pair can always be washed and ready); some sort of sweat-wicking base layer top, which needn't be expensive; and a light, slim-fitting, breathable windproof/showerproof jacket, as a basic minimum. You'll be comfortable and dry(ish) in most conditions.

Cycling jerseys are nice, but not essential; you can always wear tracksuit bottoms or similar over your shorts; and your shoes are fine.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    For extra bike-cred go for something with world champion stripes or, if your over 13 stone and a biot tubby, polka dot jersey is the one to go for 8)
  • ScaldedCat
    ScaldedCat Posts: 111
    For extra bike-cred go for something with world champion stripes or, if your over 13 stone and a biot tubby, polka dot jersey is the one to go for 8)

A bt like me choosing to wear a Tom Simpson replica Peugeot jersey because of my tendancy to die on the hills. :wink:

Shorts a jersey and some mitts would be a good start.
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    ScaldedCat wrote:

A bt like me choosing to wear a Tom Simpson replica Peugeot jersey because of my tendancy to die on the hills. :wink:

Oooph!
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    balthazar wrote:

Cycling jerseys are nice, but not essential; you can always wear tracksuit bottoms or similar over your shorts; and your shoes are fine.
    Definitley get some cycling jerseys. The wicking effect and aerodynamics they provide is reason enough to get them. There is a bit of snobbery from some cyclists regarding whether or not to buy Pro Team Kit - but if that what you want don't worry about. Don't wear tracksuit bottoms over shorts its seriously uncool. A bit like playing football with shoes on :roll: More importantly the air resistance will slow you down. So - two cycling tops; two pairs of cycling shorts (a nice tight fit to prevent chaffing), some short fingered gloves. If you're planning to ride in the winter then long bib tights and longer sleeved cycling tops
  • Quick question is the cleat different between SPD and SPD-SL?
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 559
    Yes

spd is a two bolt fitting that is usually recessed into the shoe and is easy to walk on. SPD SL sits proud from the shoe and is a three bolt fitting specifically for road shoes. SPD SL also gives a bigger surface area to support the foot. I started with SPD and moved to SPD SL quite quickly as i found it gave more support and alleviated the hot foot i was sufferig with.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Quick question is the cleat different between SPD and SPD-SL?

Yes. The cleats that you currently have (MTB SPD's) are recessed in the sole of the shoe. SPD-SL cleats stand proud of the shoe and have a three-bolt fixing.
    Cycling weakly
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    ScaldedCat wrote:

Ooooh, a scathing remark, bit cruel :shock:
  • ScaldedCat
    ScaldedCat Posts: 111
    I do have a rather barbed SoH at times, my apologies. :D
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    I have a pair of MTB SPD shoes that will do me for now I think but what else should I be looking to get and are there any recommendation on brand or particular items?

Cheers!

When buying furniture, I look first at Ikea stuff. If no joy there, then it's off to John Lewis. If still no joy, then it's Habitat time. OK, it's not quite so prescriptive as that, but you get the idea.

Try going to an ultra-value store first, as you may well find something to suit, at a bargain price. An equivalent premium brand product may be 10-15 times as expensive, and while usually better (possibly a lot), not 10 to 15 times better! Profit margins on most cycling gear are vast...

So I'd look in Aldi first, then Decathlon, then bike shops, only paying more where you think you need to or the benefit warrants it.

I'd stick with your MTB shoes for a while also. And if you're prepared to pay up for higher end carbon-soled MTB shoes, you can retain the practicality of walk-able shoes with virtually no downside (slight weight increase - irrelevant for the vast majority of people).

Have fun.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    If you want compression clothing (not a must, but I like riding with it) then try your local friendly sports direct - nike stuff in there for a 1/3 of the price.

Decent padded cycle shorts, a couple of cycle shirts (the back pockets are very handy), cycle shoes with cleats, a waterproof that folds small enough to fit in a back pocket, glove (fingerless for summer, fingered for winter) will be enough to get started.

If you want to start getting more and more stuff then Leg/Arm warmers, a "windproof" rather than waterproof jacket, tights, long and short sleeve cycling shirts, cycling socks, cap, shoe covers etc etc are the way to go.

have a browse around Wiggle and have a look at the clothing (pop into your local bike store and have a look too) - you can always hunt for the pieces on the internet!

Good basic stuff (other than the LIDL ALDI specials) I have found at Endura/DHB/Altura.

Of course, you could max out the credit card and shop entirely at assos/rapha!
  • bikedibley
    bikedibley Posts: 40
    Hi guys. I have owned the nicest Assos clothing which costs silly money and basic cr@p that doesn't fit well at all.

The best stuff I've used in terms of value to quality, is dhb clothing from Wiggle. It fits really nicely and feels like much more pricey items. What's more, is how great value it is.

http://tidd.ly/1e0b917b
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    For the best part of the year I get by on:
    s/s jersey
    base layer
    Bibshorts
    Gilet
    Armwarmers.

These should get you through about 10 months of the year. Of course, you can spend as little or as much as you like on these tiems, but I would recommend setting aside the lion's share for the shorts and base layer, and getting the rest with what you've got left.
  • Anyone ride with MTB Baggies? Just wondering if they have as much padding as specific road bike type shorts?
  • muchalls
    muchalls Posts: 87
    MTB baggies!
    A bit like surfing in Speedo's- yep, can b done, but nope, not a good look.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    APIII wrote:
    For the best part of the year I get by on:
    s/s jersey
    base layer
    Bibshorts
    Gilet
    Armwarmers.

Ditto.
    keep an eye on the classifieds, and buy well, and once. No point buying cheap tat you never use later. I have lots of cheap tops that don't get a look in now.

Get all the above, and a race cape/waterproof, and you are nailed.

In winter, add a decent thermal base layer like Craft, a windstopper softshell, and longer bibs.

easy.
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    Get good quality shorts. I've just bought some Giordana Tenax after a couple of years with cheapy shorts and can't believe the difference.

If you want to save money, save it on the jersey by buying something like the dhb range(good for the price) or the other bargain ones people have mentioned.
    A good wicking base layer is also worth every penny, I find I wear mine all the time and when I'm running.

You're probably better to stick with your current shoes & cleats as they won't make much difference and are much easier to walk in.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    spend some real money on mitts/gloves and remember some kind of eye protection(to stop the bugs and countyside) :)
  • moffmcewan
    moffmcewan Posts: 83
    been riding for a week now, been out 4 times and each time ive got back ive decided i need something....in order:

1st: cycling shorts...sports direct £9.99 (do for now)
    2nd: proper top....opted for team sky shirt and its mint
    3rd: road shoes and pedals (in the post)
    4th: mitts as my hands were going numb (also in the post)

hope this helps and you dont find out the same way i did through pain, sweating and numbness lol

:D 8)