anyone ever

handon94
handon94 Posts: 137
edited May 2010 in MTB general
hello
just wondering if anyone has ever broken anything why riding then nit realised how much damage they have done and got back on to the bike lol, because i have lol am i the only one or is there others. :D
diamondback LS02
giant talon 2 -http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/handon_2010/?action=view&current=Photo0069.jpg&newest=1

"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    broken the bike or broken yourself?

never broken the bike and not noticed but had loads of times where i've wrecked myself and not noticed for ages :roll:
  • handon94
    oh yeah lol im on about braking ourselves lol
    diamondback LS02
    giant talon 2 -http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/handon_2010/?action=view&current=Photo0069.jpg&newest=1

"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Whenever i've been out in the woods i'm always surprised by how many cuts and scrapes I end up with on my arms and legs from thorny bushes and low hanging tree branches.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Haven't broken any bones upto now, howevever LOADS of scratches, bruises, bruised ribs etc. : Really going to try and push my riding this year so may be unlucky and break something... :lol:
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I cut both my knees open propping my bike up (chain got wedged on the BB axle so mate was trying to free it). Took me about 30 minutes before I noticed the blood pouring out of my knees :P
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes. Regained consciousness after a huge crash in Coed y Brenin, several metres down a steep bank. I was still in a bit of a daze, so tried to climb back up, and just ride back to the centre. Bike was handling strangely, but my brain was handling even more strangely so I thought (literally) nothing of it.
    Whilst I was wobbling unsteadily down the fire roads, still dizzy and confused, someone pointed out that my swing-arm had snapped clean in half on one side :shock:
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I;ve not injured myself seriously on the bike, yet :o but I did break my front hub and only realised when I got home and inspected it even then I didn't realise how bad until I replaced the wheel and took the hub apart there were obvious weak points, damm OE formulas. :cry:

When I was freerunning eaarlier this year I hurt my hand when I cased a landing putting a small fracture in bone in my hand it just felt a bit stiff at the time but hurt more later so got an x=ray turns out there were two more very recent fractures one in either hand that I'd put down to sprains from other freerunning landings :o
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I seem to damage the bike more than myself. Had some spectacular crashes and come away with nothing but the odd scrape, or in the case of a 30mph run off an 8ft drop into a field on the roadie, covered in stinging nettle stings, but I managed to bend two wheels in 6 months a while back.

Injuries seem to happen at slow speed, like the scar down the back of my ankle from jamming the chainring down it while not moving.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • dvatc
    dvatc Posts: 86
    i managed to slice open my knee at cannock last week after going over the bars. Didnt look at it till i got back to the van (about 10 miles later). All the dust from following people had stopped it bleeding so didnt notice how bad it was. Visit to A + E, alot of scrubbing :shock: and 7 stitches..... No pain, no gain :lol:
  • Luke-Dob
    Luke-Dob Posts: 121
    Compound fractured right wrist
    Small fracture to my left wrist
    Broke 1 rib
    Fractured left shoulder blade
    Ripped a tendon from my right collarbone tearing 2cm of bone away with it
    Fractured right foot
    Broke my nose twice.

Bike wise, I'v lost count the amount of parts that have snapped.... Gotta love Downhill!
    "If I Was Falling, YOU BETTER FREAKING CATCH ME!!!"
    6 years riding bikes, 8 broken bones, gravity can be a b**ch
    http://dobby.pinkbike.com/album/My-Bikes-D/
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    Had a big off at Llandegla, over the bars at full speed to a dead stop with my head against a tree. shaken but ok at the time. a few hours later I was a mess. Concussion for 3 weeks! More receintly, dislocated elbow, that I noticed right away!
  • bike-a-swan
    largephil wrote:
    Had a big off at Llandegla, over the bars at full speed to a dead stop with my head against a tree. shaken but ok at the time. a few hours later I was a mess. Concussion for 3 weeks! More receintly, dislocated elbow, that I noticed right away!

Was this you?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPSMsptRrvI
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    lol, no but the crash was similar to that. Sadly no one saw my crash as I was at the back of a group doing the black jump section. Left my seat high and as my rear wheel clipped the second part of the big double there I got bucked over the bars head first into a muddy bank / tree root thing. Was wierd, never felt a thing!
  • bike-a-swan
    Shame, that video is something I keep around if I'm having a bad day- 'ah well, at least it isn't as bad as this guy...'

I'd like to meet him some day, thank him for making me feel better.
  • handon94
    thanks for the reply's quite interesting to see what people have done lol, i have only so far had one major incident that was over Cannock chase where i managed to go over the bars and smash my elbow up then ride the rest of the route and home without really worrying about it being to bad :D but i can say it was worth it just to get another lap in :)
    diamondback LS02

• Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Not bike related, but when I was younger I jumped out a tree and sprained both ankles without realising till the next day when I could hardly walk
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"