Sidi Ergo2's: Excessive Arch Support?

Captain Fagor
Captain Fagor Posts: 739
edited May 2010 in Road buying advice
Just wondering what owners of the Sidi Ergo2 shoes thought of the fit. Having ridden my Shimano R151's to destruction, I recently treated myself to a pair of black Carbonlite Vernice Sidis (bought online, same size as Shimanos).

My first ride today with them and in general very pleased. However, the shape of the sole is very different to the Shimanos. I feel as if the Sidis have a very high arch. It's not an unpleasant feeling, it's just that I wonder if it encourages a lazy foot and plantar facia problems. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd be interested to hear them.

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I have some lower end version SIDI's and had the same problem as yourself. I just replaced the inserts with some others without the high arch that I had laying around. For something such as shoes it's always best to try before you buy since feet are so finicky.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have Shimano and Sidi Ergo 2's...
    I do get an occasional ache, along the outside of my right foot on long rides, which is not from them being done up too tightly.
    I now use Sidas Footbeds, but still get a little occasional niggle.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Captain Fagor
    Captain Fagor Posts: 739
    Thanks for the comments. I think the fit of the shoe is mainly due to the shape of the sole, rather than the inserts, which are pretty thin. However, I'll bear the custom footbeds in mind if my minor gripe continues.

FWIW, I have had the shoes for four days, and have ridden them three times for a total of 210 miles without any major grief. I think I'd need to pile in a heavy week of continuous use before taking them with me on holiday though.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I had my first run in my new ergo 2's today, and can see what you mean. I'm gonna try the custom insoles I got for my ski boots and see if they are any better. I've tried them in cycling shoes before and they seem to work ok.
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    For £280 (or there abouts) the footbeds that came in the 2009 Ergo 2s were shocking - I've got sidas customs now but after almost two weeks I've yet to try them!! Exams this week and next, so time after work and weekends is being spent indoors.

I'm tempted by the latest red, white and black edition - very nice
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • APIII
    For £280 (or there abouts) the footbeds that came in the 2009 Ergo 2s were shocking - I've got sidas customs now but after almost two weeks I've yet to try them!! Exams this week and next, so time after work and weekends is being spent indoors.

I'm tempted by the latest red, white and black edition - very nice

I just got the red/white/black! I was unsure about the black patent (who wants to look like a 10 year old tap dancer?) However, in the flesh, they look awesome. I'm tempted to say worth every penny, but being Sidi, of course they're not :wink:
  • simon johnson
    Yep, I've got the all black vernice - they're a bit S&M TBH !! Now all I need's some crotchless panties and a gimp mask. Sorry, I trust you've had your tea already :D

Nah, the one's you've got look stunning. Good choice.

I also noticed that the price has come sown slightly this year, which is a bit of a novelty. Anybody know why? I guess that at £280 they were a bit overpriced
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • APIII
    I got 20% off mine at Wiggle last week, but it still had me questioning my sanity. I don't think I've ever paid £230 for a pair of shoes, let alone ones restricted to cyling! However, the wife was impressed as my shoes now coordinate with the rest of the ensemble, so maybe it will be worth it after all.....
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    These are available at 5339 for £232.00 :shock:
    c99bc1bErgo2CarbLV_WhiBlaRedV.jpg

Now you got me thinking I need a new pair!... :roll:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • APIII
    Yeah, you need a new pair. I loved my Liquigas Sidis, but these are super-dooper
  • simon johnson
    Good timing, seems that they've mostly ran out of stock - thank god! Mine cost "about £75" :D

I really notice the difference on the upstroke in these shoes- the heel just seems to be clamped in there, which sounds uncomfortable, but isn't. I'd forgotten about the price already....great performers.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • simon johnson
    hopper1 wrote:
    These are available at 5339 for £232.00 :shock:
    c99bc1bErgo2CarbLV_WhiBlaRedV.jpg

Now you got me thinking I need a new pair!... :roll:

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Lovely.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Just had my first week of riding in my new ergo 2 carbon lite vernice in white..........very bling........very comfy!!!

Was using Time RXT's and Sidi are a world apart.
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk