Specialized Roubaix 09 Rear Hub/Freewheel issues

lucieandpaul
lucieandpaul Posts: 267
edited May 2010 in Workshop
Hello all

I bought a new Roubaix Elite Compact in December 09 from my local bike shop www.cdbikes.co.uk who did me a cracking deal.

Its been flawless and ive ridden it on dry days to work and sportive weekend rides but its not been used much at all until the decent weather recently as i avoid shitty weather and bad roads.

On way back from work last week as i was going down hill, i freewheeled to have a drink and noticed that the rear wheel was "kicking" my cranks and i could feel the freewheel like partially engaging.

All of a sudden the chain jammed, and as my right leg was completely extended I struggled to get my leg out of my pedals and i had a stumble.

I carried the bike home i was only 5min away and put the bike on my bike stand, and it was very graty on the back hub.

I took it out the next day to have a look what was wrong and it was working fine.

So took it easy for the next few short rides, assuming it must have been a stone or something but everything was fine but yesterday the same happened just as i was leaving the house.

I put the bike on the stand and checked it over, everything was well lubed, it has been serviced recently and there was nothing obvious but i noticed if i spun the wheel without pedalling, the cranks would occaisionally turn as if the freewheel was partially engaging.

Took it back to CD Bikes who as usual were flawless in their service and said the freewheel/hub was at fault and it would be replaced by Speclalised.

I cant fault the LBS service but has anyone else had this issue?

I missed out on a good road ride today as well with the local bike club :-(

On a £1700 bike i was hoping to have less serious issues so soon.

Paul
www.cree-cottage.co.uk
4 Star 7 Stanes Cyclist Accredited luxury holiday cottage accomodation for cyclists. Self Catering, with the best facilities and with 7 Stanes trails on your doorstep.