Toe Overlap?

Rushie
Rushie Posts: 115
edited May 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi,

After trying quuite a few models I've finally found a new bike that seems to tick all the boxes and seems to fit really well. My only concern is I have around 5-10mm toe overlap between the front of my shoe and the front tyre. I'm around 180cm (5'11") and the frame is a nominal 54cm, although the top tube measures around 55cm. I don't have the issue with either my Langster or my Bianchi Via Nirone. Should I be concerned about this toe overlap or not?

Thanks

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Yes.

At the worst possible time, you will forget about it, turn the wheel in a slow corner and catch your toe, resulting in an inelegant, graceless and entirely annoying fall, in front of a crowd of spectators who will cheer loudly at your embarrassment.

Alternatively, check your cleat position? Too far back on the shoe?? Or do you have unusually large feet for someone 1.80m riding a 54?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I wouldn't worry too much... I have an overlap on all of my bikes, and have only once caught my toe on the front tyre, and I was stationary at that time. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • robbiedont
    robbiedont Posts: 89
    Yeah I have overlap too, just be careful when doing really slow u turns!
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    Should be ok you'll be surprised how little the wheel actually turns on normal road cornering, most is controlled by leaning the body
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Same here, I have toe overlap on both my road and cross bikes.

Both are 54cm and I am 5'9" with size 9 feet so pretty average I guess.

It's not a problem on my road bike unless, as stated above, I am doing a very tight u-turn.

On my cross bike I tend to notice it more as the course often requires tight turning. It's never caused an off though and once you've ridden with an overlap for a bit you tend to subconciously have the inside crank pointing forward whilst cornering.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Generally you shouldn't turn your front wheel far enough for that to happen, whenever you are turning you should have your outside leg down, at 90 degrees to the road.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Calm down.

Worse happens at sea.
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    To answer Wheelspinner's question, I had a bike fit on Monday, including cleats, so I am fairly confident they are in the right position. The crank length was also correct.

So the general concensus seems to be that it's not ideal but won't be too much of an issue in the real world. And I suppose the only alternatives are to slacken the head angle or lengthen the top tube, neither of which is desirable.

Hmmm.
  • stratcat
    stratcat Posts: 160
    It is only a problem when you are going very slowly and will probably be wobbling about anyway.
    The answer is to go fast everywhere :lol::lol:

Seriously, I occasional catch my toe if I'm grinding slowly uphill following my wife on one of our "steady" days out.
    Its not a big deal imho.