Cancellara vs Arroyo

plowmar
plowmar Posts: 1,032
edited May 2010 in Pro race
O k guys, best televised descent.

After yesterday given the conditions, those he overtook and the fact he isn't supposed to be a great descender my vote has to go to Arroyo.

Heart in mouth, brown shorts stuff but great viewing.

I know it doesn't work that way but he deserved to keep pink if only for one more day.

Comments

• Definitely Arroyo - Cancellara knew he was going to come back to the field anyway, whereas Arroyo was arguably riding for his pro career.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Definitely Arroyo - Cancellara knew he was going to come back to the field anyway, whereas Arroyo was arguably riding for his pro career.

Yep agree with that one was for TV one was for GC.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Fabulous Candelabra was in the dry, on smooth road, and just another show pony special.

No contest. Arroyo may have been in pink overload, but that ride took serious cojones
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Nibali's descent on Stage 14 was terrific. He just looked so natural.

Arroyo's was also admirable. He could have easily sat up and conceded the jersey to Basso at the top of the Mortirolo. What we got was more entertainment. What a tour.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    I've heard that if the moto cams could film Hushovd fly down a mountain people would think he has a deathwish...

I think that Canc decent on youtube wasn't stunningly amazing.

There was no pressure really, he had already lost the yellow that day and the group he was catching up were hardly going flat out.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Cancellara's descent was a better watch on tv but Arroyo's was a better/braver descent.
    Best bit was 'Evans is great at going downhill', then nearly totals into camper!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I agree that Fabu's was visually exciting. Arroyo's certainly showed some determination to make up so much ime on the decent.

I really like the corner over the bridge @25secs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRSFUnclJGQ
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I agree that Fabu's was visually exciting. Arroyo's certainly showed some determination to make up so much ime on the decent.

I really like the corner over the bridge @25secs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRSFUnclJGQ

That's quick
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    There was a great one of Salvodelli when he won the 2nd time. Dave H was waxing lyrical over it especially as the moto couldn't keep up. Another on on the keep pile of tapes!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman