Rebuilding a Rockhopper, Clarks Skeletal?

mowflow
mowflow Posts: 212
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hello, first post here.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 03/04 Rockhopper professional (going by bikepedia) that I found thrown in my local dump last year. The bike was in working order apart from a flat tyre and just general wear to all the components. Due to me now using it pretty regularly i've decided to start replacing/upgrading all the components starting with forks, drive train and brakes. The forks are leaking like hell, chainrings are badly worn/jumping and the brakes slow you down a bit at best.

I'm working to a budget so picked a RS Tora SL fork up off a friend for a steal. It's an improvement over what's on the bike at the moment.

I'm going to go for Shimano drivetrain parts I think, either SLX or XS. Thought about SRAM but don't like the thumby shifters since I broke my thumb at the beginning of the year and it's not healed that well (should have went to the hospital I suppose). At least with Shimano half my shifts will be pain free.

I've been looking at the options for brakes and it seems that Avid Elixir 5 are the brake of choice at the moment. However, i'm really interested in the Clarks Skeletal. Great price and looks good. Doesn't seem to be much info on them in terms of use, how easy is it to get parts etc. I read in another post that one of the members on here was picking a pair up, i'd be interested to hear how they got on.

If anyone wants to offer advice on parts I should consider then i'm all ears. I'm new to the world of bikes and tried to read up as much as possible before posting. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Comments

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Paging joshtp/mbukman!
  • mowflow
    mowflow Posts: 212
    I also meant to ask if anyone knows if a 180 rotor will fit on the back of this bike as I can only find Skeletals in 180mm.