Rear Wheel Hub Query

Grifteruk
Grifteruk Posts: 244
edited May 2010 in Workshop
Im a newbie and looking for a bit of advice.

Ive just bought a new Wilier Cento Uno and picked it up yesterday. After taking it out for a quick spin, I have noticed that the rear wheel seems to have quite a bit of resistance compared to my old bike (Trek 4.5). When I have comapred them on the stand, the rear wheel on the Trek spins for twice as long as my new Wilier which is suggesting to me that the new wheel has some resistance. :evil:

I have checked and there is no brake rub and the new wheel (Shimano DA 7580) is suppossed to be an upgrade on my Bontranger Race wheel on the Trek. i cant figure out why this may be happening.

I was wondering whether it was because the wheel would take a little time to loosen up or if there was something else I should be looking out for?

Any help gretefully rec'd

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    give the grease time to spread out and the seals to start wearing in.

Or it could be that the bearings are too tight. or the lock rings lose.

does it spin better out of the frame?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Grifteruk
    Thanks for that. I'll have a look at your tips and let you know.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    If it is new, surely the bike shop should look for free under warranty?

Almost finished building mine, and can't wait to ride it. A couple more days.... The wait is driving me mad.

How do you find it?
  • Grifteruk
    Guy in LBS said to give the grease a bit if time to bed in

only been for a short 10 miles so far will go for a 60miler tomorrow give it a really good test. Felt easier on one or two short climbs already !
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    edited May 2010
    Hubs come with various grease and seals. Some may feel stiffer than others but it's largely IRRELEVANT whether they spin 10 or 20 times on a work stand.
    It won't make any difference in real life.

Unless you're a pro, of course.
  • Hmmm grease time to bed in? Grease only ever degrades with time it never gets better

Sounds like bollox to me. They are either cup and cone and overtightened or cartdridge bearings again with some sort of overtightened preload.

Replaced loads of bearings on my bikes and never had a problem, granted the LBS have probably done thousands,so I could be easily wrong based on my narrow experience

And anyone who has cycled with a stiff bottom bracket or stiff rear wheel will tell you that it does make a difference.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl