Disc Dilema

love2ride
love2ride Posts: 224
edited May 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi guys
This season, I have told myself I can buy a disc, when I go under 23mins for a particular challenging local course. I am very nearly there, and am wondering which one to go for.

I have decided on the Easton EC90 TT for the front because reviews look good . For the rear disc I will be looking to spend £1000 give or take 100 for a tubular wheel.

The main contenders I've looked at are the FFWD disc, the Hed Stinger disc or the Pro disc. Please recommend any others which you think are good or which one of them is better.

Also, whats a good but not too pricy tub?
Cheers
Will

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Powertap Open pro and disc covers...

Works for me!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    He doesn't want it to be aero, just the noise it makes! :lol:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Pick up a second hand Corima for about £400 and spend the rest on a coach.
  • love2ride
    I've already got a coach and am training as much as I can for my age. I have some money built up from birthdays and pocket money over the years and would like to spend it on a disc wheel.
  • Anonymous
    Does your coach not think a power meter would be beneficial? :shock:
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    hmmm - a coach that tells you to spend your money on kit - I like the sound of that.. ;)
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    How is the Disc cover NapD? I could stretch to one of those but a 'real disc' is out of the question.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Anonymous
    It's great Rich!

It fits absolutely perfectly (you can specify wheel and hub when you order).

Works really well, obviously being able to use power is great.

People at the TT are surprised when I tell them they are covers, the only tell tales being the little bolts that clamp both sides together when you look close up.

I'll post a pic up soon.

The only downside is the fact it doesn't make the ace disc wheel noise!
  • love2ride
    My coach says it is more important to learn how to pace yourself on feel at this stage. he doesn't tell me to buy kit but I've got nothing else to spend it on.
    I'd also just have a normal disc, possibly track convertable.
  • Anonymous
    love2ride wrote:
    My coach says it is more important to learn how to pace yourself on feel at this stage. he doesn't tell me to buy kit but I've got nothing else to spend it on.

Then keep hold of the money until you want to buy a power meter ;)

Get some disc wheel covers in the meantime...
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    love2ride wrote:
    Saw you at the NFCC TT on Tues,looks like your getting the pacing right.Good time. :lol:
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The only downside is the fact it doesn't make the ace disc wheel noise!

thats the only reason I bought mine!! :D
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • love2ride
    I'm still thinking, but I'll probably go for the zipp 900 because it's track adaptable and my lbs can give me a good deal on it. Has anyone had any experience with it? Zipp say it will save 30 watts when paired with an 808 front, is that good (it sounds pretty good)? Also, zipp say the super 9 is 40% stiffer, does that mean the super 9 is extremely stiff, or the 900 is pretty floppy?
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    I've heard of issues with Zipp disc flexing. However in a UK out and back tt its less of an issue than a prologue as you're unlikely to ever be putting out huge wattages if you're pacing it right. If you're sprinting out of corners on short sporting courses then it might be a different matter obviously.

You could go for a second hand corima, second hand HED3 front, and then spend the rest on a quarq? That'd be a nice set up...If you bought it all new that'd be even better!
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk